Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Weld symbols and definitions
- - By CWI555 (*****) Date 03-31-2006 02:35
I know how this question is going to sound, and yes it is a loaded question. I am convinced of the proper answer, but due to the nature of the problem that I'm having at my current contract I feel it necc. to ask?
Background: Weld symbols ( per design drawings ) for CJP's detail the convex symbol. It further details a 1:4 taper vs the 1:2.5 per D1.1.
A CWI has told me that their particular interpretation of this allows A. areas below flush are allowed. B. Contractor Acceptance criteria supercede owner/design drawings. C. Without a Definition of "convex" as it relates to Welding, that some underfill on the above weld detail is allowable ( 1/32" to be exact ). ( which I cannot find and "official" definition except for root convexity in standard terms and definitions. I can only find some annex information in standard welding symbols that is not clearly stated ) D. That because the notes in the drawings specify section 6 of D1.1 for inspection, that I am not to use any other part of D1.1 and therefore cannot use anything out of any other part of D1.1. ( owner requires D1.1 2002 with the exception of a call out for D1.5 in one instance. )

With the previous mouthfull having been said, How would you kind people suggest I proceed? Is there some truth somewhere I am unaware of that allows the conditions noted above, or am I correct in assuming A. Convex is convex, no flush or below flush value allowed, B. Owner/Engineer design drawings supercede All else, C. No definition of "convex" clearly exist, but rather is a logical assumption. D. As a CWI I am not to turn a blind eye to all other portions of D1.1?

Any enlightenment on this matter would be welcomed.
Thank You
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-31-2006 03:43
I would rcommend you contact the owner's representative and ask for clarification of the project requirements.

Typically, unless the fabricator took exceptions to the project specifications at the time the bid was accepted and the owner granted the exception, the project specifications stand.

You didn't state what the project was. Are you fabricating a structural steel frame for a building, a piece of machinery, etc? If the project entails structural steel for a building, there are state laws, i.e., building codes, that require adherance to the requirements (not guidelines) of D1.1. The state building code will also state which edition of D1.1 is applicable (the latest revision of D1.1 in not usually required by the state's building code).

If the material being produced is a manufactured product, it may be covered by the Underwritters Laboratories or other organization. That is, it is considered a "manufactured item" and there may be exceptions to the requirements of D1.1 permitted. Again, your client or their representative should be able to answer your concerns.

I approach my inspection assignments with several basic concepts in mind:
1) I inspect based on the project specifications (including approved drawings and referenced standards).
2) I am the eyes and ears of the client and their design professional. I report anything I find suspect. I don't necessarily reject an item, but I do report the discrepancy.
3) When performing QA, I insist on reviewing the fabricator/manufacture's quality control program to verify they are performing the required inspections and tests. In other words, I want to see inspection reports that were completed by the fabricator/manufacturer's QC personnel. I also verify the QC personnel are qualified and certified in accordance with the QC manual or written practice. Do they have a written practice for NDT personnel?
4) I ask a lot of questions. I address them in writing to the fabricator/manufacturer and/or the design professional when I have a question.

Every job has its own requirements. You have to understand what those requirements are. The scope of your work and the job requirements should be documented in the purchase order, project specification, or maybe the "Statement of Special Inspections" (building code requirement). Ask questions and insist on answers in writing. People have short term memories when things start to go awry.

Do you have a system of reporting discrepancies and a way to track corrective actions? When you report a discrepancy, do you cite the applicable code section or drawing requirment that is in conflict? A good method of reporting will save you at a later time when memories fail.

This doesn't answer your particular questions because only your client or their design professionals have those answers.

Good luck,

Al
Parent - - By bamaCWI (**) Date 03-31-2006 06:02
I guess CONVEXITY is not supposed to apply to groove welds because every definition I have found refers to fillet welds with the exception of my old Websters dictionary. I have been wrong many times before but if the approved drawings have a convex symbol I will not accept a flush or below profile.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 03-31-2006 12:22
CWI555

You mentioned that because the notes in the drawings specify section 6 of D1.1 for inspection, you are not to use any other part of D1.1 or anything out of any other part of D1.1. Surely you are bound by contract documents to inspect within the parameters of D1.1, at the very minimum, Section 6, as you mentioned, and surely the fabricator is bound fabricate within the parameters of D1.1, Section 5, among others. That being said, the fabricator would have to adhere to the criteria of Figure 5.4, which is acceptable and unacceptable weld profiles. At the bottom of the page, item (E) shows underfill as an unacceptable groove weld profile in a butt joint. There is no 1/32 tolerance. If it is underfilled, it is rejectable.

Another CWI told you "that some underfill (1/32) on the weld detail is allowable". He/she may have been thinking about 5.2.4.1 flush surfaces, butt welds required to be flush shall be finished so as not to reduce the thickness of the thinner base metal or weld metal by more than 1/32.

If the groove weld is underfilled, even by 1/32, it is rejectable. That 1/32 of underfill reduces the effective throat of the weld. I guarantee you that the engineer did not design the weld(s) in question to be underfilled.

bamaCWI would be correct in not accepting a flush or below profile. Are you in Alabama? I was just there Wednesday at Steelfab in Roanoke.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-31-2006 13:03
I agree with Scott on this, underfill is underfilled, no tolerances listed for it.
John Wright
Parent - By waynekoe (**) Date 03-31-2006 17:59
underfill is concave.
Parent - - By bamaCWI (**) Date 04-01-2006 05:09
John If you haven't noticed by my post on 5.24.4.1, me and CWI555 are facing the same "SNOWMAN".
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-12-2006 14:00
As noted in other post, I can't give the identity of this person. All I can say is I hope the money was worth it for him. snowman is an apt name, thats for sure.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-01-2006 01:55
they have the same drawings I have. Which specifically denote a convex symbol. Their position was that underfill was allowed.
My position was no it is not under any circumenstance where a convex symbol on design drawings is denoted.

And yes I am bound by the contract documents, they however don't see it that way.

These are the same people that finally accepted after much ado that yes it is a convex symbol, and yes convex means something above flush, but then turned around and said some flush or underfill was allowed.

Parent - By bamaCWI (**) Date 04-01-2006 05:00
Yes I am in Alabama. I have heard of Steelfab but never had any projects there.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 03-31-2006 20:15
From your screen name, it sounds like you are a CWI representing the owner or engineer?

It looks to me like the CWI you spoke with either doesn't know D1.1 and contract requirements very well, or is trying to give you a snow job.
AWS A2.4-98 article 4.6.1 says "Groove welds that are to be welded with approximately flush or convex faces shall be specified by adding the flush or convex contour symbol to the welding symbol.

AWS A3.0-2001 defines convexity as "The maximum distance from the face of a fillet weld perpendicular to a line joining the weld toes". That speaks of fillets, not grooves, but the accompanying figures help to define what is meant by convexity. A convex groove face is also known as reinforcement but that is not defined in A3.0. When not listed as a standard term in A3.0, a dictionary helps with definitions.

It is possible to have a convex groove face along with some undercut. Guessing from the 1:4 taper requirement, I would think the maximum allowable undercut would be 0.010" (primary member).

The fact that the required taper is 1:4 instead of 1:2.5 should clearly indicate that the person who put that note on the design drawings meant exactly what it says. Any deviation from that should require approval. Notice that sometimes the shop drawings are slightly different from the design drawings. If there is a difference the owner should have approved the change.

The Contractor's "standards" for acceptance criteria would only apply if the owner agreed to that in writing. (It's highly doubtful that you will ever see that happen.)

It is possible that owner could select section 6 of D1.1, and pick selected parts from other sources to "invent" a new spec for a specific job. (Remember the CWI Practical Exam code book.) But that too is highly doubtful. Plus you stated that D1.1 and parts of D1.5 have been referenced. To me that means the entire D1.1 applies, along with the referenced portions of D1.5. In case of conflict between the two, I would go with the more stringent unless and until directed differently by the owner.

In the most respectful and professional attitude I could manage, I would ask that other CWI to explain his positions in writing (I don't think you will see that either), and I would talk to the owner or engineer about the matter. I would not accept welds that do not comply with all parts of D1.1 unless I had the alternative criteria in writing with the owner's approval.

If someone told me the things you mentioned, I would keep a close eye on everything, because either A) they don't know what they are doing or B) they know what they should do and are choosing not to.

Most of all, I wouldn't fight the battle. You don't have guns big enough but the owner does. Just be as fair and objective as you can in your reporting and let others deal with it.

Chet Guilford
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-31-2006 20:51
Just for the sake of terminology.

Our European friends prefer the term "convexity" or, "Melt-thru", over "reinforcement" because the word "reinforcement" might suggest that the weld is made stronger by it, which in almost every case, it does not.

maybe no real practical tie in.. but nice to know
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-01-2006 02:19
yes I believe the "individual" is attempting a blizzard, not just a snow job.

Parent - - By vonash (**) Date 04-06-2006 23:51
Who is this mystery snowman?
Parent - - By bamaCWI (**) Date 04-07-2006 00:48
Can't give that info, sorry.
Parent - - By texredneck (**) Date 04-09-2006 23:19
Gotta love them snowmen...whomever they are :D
However, I must agree on condition of proper etiquette, the identity should be witheld on the public forum. He who betrays his own credibiltiy only betrays his own. He who betrays the credibility of others betrays that of all.
Parent - - By bamaCWI (**) Date 04-11-2006 12:55
I think the engineer just melted the "SNOWMAN"
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 04-11-2006 13:23
Awesome! Hate to see anyone get cooked but a little defrosting is usually good for the soul. An education is not free.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-11-2006 13:31
:)
John Wright
Parent - - By bamaCWI (**) Date 04-11-2006 18:07
Just for the record, I am now unemployed. I had to walk away. The funny thing is, I just received my new Inspection Trends and there are articles that relate to my previous situation.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-11-2006 18:22
I read that too and thought of a couple threads that were on the forum lately.
John Wright
Parent - By thcqci (***) Date 04-12-2006 12:47
Got mine yesterday and the columns are very centering, even for the most conscientious inspector. I will be forwarding some copies to who ever try to influence my decisions based on schedules or convenience to try to enlighten them as to the ethics that I maintain by signing my name in relation to our weldments. The brotherhood of quality control/assurance minded individuals is just different than most production minded people and the mindset can be difficult to explain to some. These columns articulate them well. Well done this time AWS.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Weld symbols and definitions