Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Question concerning ASME procedure
- - By medicinehawk (**) Date 04-01-2006 22:34
I was told by a CWI that API 1104 says any pipe over 12 inches in diameter is to be welded with two welders-"brother-in-law".
Does ASME say anything similar, the over 12" diameter piping????
Am on a job where we are welding 16" pipe (Per B.31.1) 100 per cent x-ray.
The procedure is: 6010 root, the balance with 7018 using SMAW. Just curious.
Parent - - By spatterbrain (*) Date 04-01-2006 22:41
Can you ask the CWI where in API-1104 that is required? I couldn't find anything. Although they usually use welders in pairs for speed not quality purposes on pipelines.
I can't see any code imposing requirements on fabricators that would dictate that kind of thing.
Parent - By medicinehawk (**) Date 04-02-2006 11:09
It will be a few weeks before I get to speak to that particular inspector, but if & when I do, I will ask him where he found that in API 1104. Thanks alot guys.
Parent - - By MBlaha (***) Date 04-02-2006 04:31
The only time I have seen brother inlawing used to meet code was where the thickness was beyond what we had tested for. Then it was that one welder could weld out to a certain thickness, that which we were qualifed to, then someone else had to continue. And it was not required by the code, simply a way around it.

Just reminising.

Mike
Parent - - By NDTIII (***) Date 04-02-2006 04:41
Ill buy that.
Parent - By welderette (**) Date 04-03-2006 14:04
Perhaps the use of "brother-in law" on larger sized pipe was to minimize distortion of the fit. Welding both sides simultaneously would equalize the stress, preventing dog-leg?
Parent - - By NEQA (**) Date 04-03-2006 17:04
We have welded 96-inch pipe and never heard of a requirement for 2 welders. Some of our suppliers do use two welders - but only for expediency purposes.
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 04-03-2006 19:11
You'll find that most gas companies require two welders on pipe over a certain size, with 12" being the common cut off point.
Of course gas companies have quite a few requirements above and beyond the codes.
96" is most likely a water line, certainly not a high pressure gas line, what they call for on water lines I have no idea.

JTMcC.
Parent - By NEQA (**) Date 04-03-2006 19:18
You are correct, JTMcC - 96" is a water line.

Is the gas company requirement you refer to, regarding two welders, an in-house spec?
Parent - - By jarsanb (***) Date 04-03-2006 19:42
Our company welders have no regulations on the number of welders for a certain diameter, however, an outside union that we contract has a requirement for two welders on 12" pipe and greater. That gets interpreted incorrectly that it's a code or quality issue. In fact we did have a situation when two welders were welding a fitting to a 12" pipe and had overheated it, causing embrittlement and a 27% loss of yield strength as determined by our lab services. Obviously inter-pass temperatures were not monitored after the initial preheat, and fatigue issues were present. The failure was a 7 inch long thru-wall crack at the toe.
Parent - - By spatterbrain (*) Date 04-03-2006 23:22
OK I know that some companies may hav these requirements in their specifications, but the question is where in API-1104 is it stated?
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 04-04-2006 04:01
spatterbrain I thought that part was answered a while back.

NEQA- yes, gas company requirement. They have lots of them.

JTMcC.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Question concerning ASME procedure