Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / sa 200
- - By jhnwendt Date 04-05-2006 02:49
yes i have bought a sa 200 having problem troubleshooting the idle. it will not idle up when you strike the welding rod. it has the electric idler on it but do not understand how it works.any help would greatly be appreciated.
Parent - - By pipehead (***) Date 04-16-2006 22:23
is the machine a F-162 or F-163? and what exactly does it do when you start welding? also what is the make of the idler?
Parent - By jhnwendt Date 04-19-2006 03:18
the machine is a f-163 i had to adjust the idle up to even try to weld found the main four brushes were stuck now machine welds good but the automatic idle does not change machine run on the idle that i adjusted. did find out that electric idle is conected to alternator circuit and am not sure alternator is working. machine has been sitting in a barn for about three years.
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 04-17-2006 03:24
john ,try weld mart-online . www.weldmart.com they just sent me a disc i haven't looked at it yet they are in spring,tx. (800) 460-6474 . theres another place but i might not find it till i dig thru my files . keep us posted on how you do . willie
Parent - By jhnwendt Date 04-19-2006 03:20
thanks i received a disk from weldmart saturday that is were i found out the alternator is conected to idler circuit thank for you help
Parent - - By welderjeffo Date 04-19-2006 01:51
I ran SA-200's for years. The problem you describe most likely has to do with the 'exciter'.
If you remove the half-sphere cover from the control end of the unit, you will see what looks like brushes and stator segments. With the unit running, CAREFULLY clean the segments with some emery cloth, (or if it's in really bad shape, use a flat file, and then emery cloth) until they look like bright shiny copper.
If my memory is correct, the lincoln manual said something about cleaning this part by dusting it with a fine sand or some type of abrasive dust with the unit running. I think this was listed in 'periodic maintenance'.
Those SA-200 units were damned good machines, they never let me down, but they only run for 8 hours on a tank of fuel.
Parent - - By jhnwendt Date 04-19-2006 03:23
i have cleaned both sets of brushes and armertures. i could really use a good radiator my machine did not have one at all. some body stole it years ago before i got the machine.i cant afford a neww one right now
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 09-18-2008 04:02
what are you using for a radiator i have a used 1 thats nees a small repair how much you looking to spend new they run around 400
Parent - - By snuffman (***) Date 09-18-2008 04:04
That post is from 2006!!! I hope he has found a radiator by now.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 09-18-2008 04:07
i dont pay attention to the dates i'm to busy trying to make a buck oh well no biggie
Parent - - By snuffman (***) Date 09-18-2008 04:09
I no but you left the door open and I had to hit you with it. LOL
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 09-18-2008 04:13
lol
Parent - By snuffman (***) Date 09-18-2008 06:45
I hear ya, same here
Parent - By rockin d (**) Date 09-18-2008 10:42
HAHAHAHA thats a good one , sorry Shad the gate was wide open , & i think the horses got out ...
Parent - - By taylorcraft1947 Date 09-18-2008 03:08
I know this is an old post, but something needs to be said.  NEVER use emery cloth on a commutator!  The abrasive is conductive and will mess things up.  Use a special commutator stone or other non-conductive abrasive.
Parent - By Marsh Welding (**) Date 09-18-2008 04:34
i didnt think emery cloth was conductive. in the world of underground electrical systems (high voltage) emery cloth is used all the time to put in splices and dead ends. i couldve sworn a lineman at work said they use it cause its not conductive. i dont know for sure i just took his word for it. he couldve been feeding me full of it too.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-18-2008 06:31
Hello taylorcraft1947, I had always been told to use crocus cloth for that purpose. Does that make sense to you? Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By snuffman (***) Date 09-18-2008 06:44
What is crocus cloth?
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-18-2008 07:46
Hello snuffman, did a little checking around. Crocus cloth refers to a specific type of abrasive cloth that is specifically formulated to polish/clean electrical parts and uses various types of abrasives that aren't electrically conductive, some of these fall into the industrial diamond category and oxides as opposed to carbides. Most of the information that I could find didn't really give a good definition of the specific make-up of these abrasives. It also stated that emery or other carbide grits should not be used on electrical parts as carbon is a conductor and can cause contamination that could result in electrical shorts. So if you go the automotive parts store or other type of supply house looking for this stuff tell them that you need crocus cloth, it also comes in various grits and types of medium: sheets, cloth rolls, sticks and other shapes and such. Hope this sheds a bit of light on this subject and I would certainly welcome any other explanations as I would appreciate having a better explanation here as well. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By snuffman (***) Date 09-18-2008 08:13
Aevald,

Thankyou sir for your research. I have never seen anyhthing like that. I have always used a Profax dd-114 brush seater and commutator cleaning stone stone sold at the welding supply to clean mine. I looked on the box and it doesnt say the make up of the stone. Ill have inquire about crocus cloth the next time Im at the auto parts store. It would be interesting to no the price difference.

Snuffman
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 09-18-2008 08:43
Hello snuffman, it very well could be that the profax unit is a more specialized and more expensive version of some of this stuff, You never know. Back when I used a lot of it we were using cloth rolls and using it to clean the armatures on starters and generators and also some of the sliprings on alternators. Been a lot of years since I have used it and even more since I have had to buy any. Thanks for you response and information. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 09-23-2008 05:17
    Crocus cloth is traditionally an iron oxide abrasive. What I was taught to use on commutators is extra fine flint sandpaper, the tan/white stuff used in woodworking.

The reason for NOT using aluminum oxide or silicon carbide abrasives is in that they are rather hard & sharp, and can charge into the surface of the copper commutator or slip rings, much like charging a lap, and in doing so they will cause excessive brush wear and poor electrical conductivity.

Having said all this I have used 400 grit silicon carbide "wet or dry" sandpaper many times with no problems, I just use a well worn piece. Then I finish off with a strip of crocus cloth.

I have not done any work on SA 200 welders, the above was on alternators and power tool motors, I have turned and polished many of these, and the rules are the same.
Parent - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 09-18-2008 12:34
yeah what allan said thats it lol
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / sa 200