Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / flow meter settings
- - By dffay (*) Date 04-05-2006 17:16
I tig weld mild steel, stainless and aluminum with the flow meter setting around 18. Some of the guys I know are dead set about their settings of much lower (like 5-7). It seems to work for them as mine does for me. What are the "usual" settings?
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-05-2006 18:16
Hello dffay, this is just my personal take on this. When I am welding at my home and paying for the gas out of my own pocket I will try to run the gas flowmeter setting as low as possible to conserve on the gas. I look at the weld to determine if the flow setting is correct or not, as long as I am getting good color in the welds and not seeing any sort of discontinuities or anything I don't get too concerned about the specific setting. When I am working out of a shop or on somebody elses stuff I will generally run a higher setting as long as I'm not running into turbulence or venturi effects from too high of a setting. I also usually run a gas lens whenever possible to get the best overall coverage of the weld zone and peripheral areas, especially on stainlesses or titanium and even aluminum. Just my $.02 Regards, aevald
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 04-05-2006 19:22
I agree. Our "typical" WPS shows settings of 30 - 45cfh but if lower works for you AND you are not working outside of your WPS (if you are using one) then go for it.
Parent - By MBlaha (***) Date 04-06-2006 00:51
Wow, I that is quite high. The WPS's I used to work with and the onest at present, say 15-30 CFH.

Mike
Parent - - By medicinehawk (**) Date 04-06-2006 08:40
If you use a gas lense than cranking up the argon (IF you are not paying for it) is what I usually do, but if you use a collet body, then I run 10-15 CFH.
Parent - - By dffay (*) Date 04-06-2006 15:39
Thanks guys. The common thread seems to be whether one is paying for the gas or not. Too funny. I'll meter my own flow meter down a tad.
Parent - By MBlaha (***) Date 04-07-2006 02:35
I have expierienced (How do you spell that vonash???) problems with perosity when using higher than 20 CFH. A oldtimer told me, and now I tell those slightly younger than me by 20 years, that using a higher flow rate, will make the argon (whatever gas you are using) rush by the puddle, and suck the air in the atmosphere into the puddle. I have always used this advice, and never had any problems unless running out of gas, not clean enough, or way too windy conditions. Even at home.

Have a great day

Mike
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / flow meter settings