Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Exam Help & Preparation
- - By Seabass (*) Date 04-06-2006 12:44
Hello fellow AWS members. My name is Chris and I live in upstate NY. I have been working in the welding field now for fourteen years. I am currently going to college for vocational education to be a welding instructor and teach at a high school level. I have a year left of courses before I become NY state certified to teach.

I am scheduled to take the CWI seminar & exam on the API 1104 code in July. I was wondering if anyone has any advise for me on how to prepare for the exam, or if anyone could help me out with some links or info to help me get ready for the exam. The CWI Certification is something I have been looking to achieve ever since I got into the welding field. I could use all the help I can get !!!
Thanks for reading my plea for help.
Sincerely,
Christopher
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-06-2006 12:50
Hi Chris,
This reply is an attempt to answer very quickly due to me not having the time at the moment to give a good answer:)

I put "CWI exam" in the search criteria and came up with this.....
Hope it helps,

edit: Sorry, my link didn't work.......try entering "CWI exam" in the search function of this form...search all boards....use 999 in the first box and 100 in the other box. There were many many threads to look through.

John Wright
Parent - - By gkcwi (**) Date 04-06-2006 14:53
Chris,
Have you given any thought to becoming a CWE, I would think with schooling it would could help you in your teaching field. As far as the CWI exam-STUDY,STUDY,STUDY, I think you get the idea. Also the courses that are available from various sources have should to greatly help people prepare for the test itself, A greater chance of passing the first time. If you have any other questions, please free to e-mail me or ask here.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 04-06-2006 15:51
I completely agree with gkcwi! The seminar is great but anyone who comes thinking it will "teach" them the criteria and subject matter will be sadly disappointed. The seminar is intended as a review only and preparatory to the actual exam. That said, I would not personally recommend taking the exam to anyone without first taking the seminar!

July is almost here man, you better quit reading and get studying!!!!
Parent - By Seabass (*) Date 04-06-2006 23:53
CWI Kriger,
Thanks for the offer to contact you via email, I do have some questions that you could help me with. Becoming a CWE is my next step, that is if I pass the big one. I only have a couple of more college courses to go before I become a welding instructor. I plan on teaching at a BOCES somewhere in or around the Capitol Region.Do you see the upstate area having the need for alot of welders in the near future? Any big projects headed are way?
Thanks again.
Chris
Parent - - By csynco8750 Date 08-08-2007 17:10
hi, how do i regester for the cwi exam only
Parent - By RANDER (***) Date 08-08-2007 17:22
Search the AWS website
Parent - By ross (***) Date 08-08-2007 20:26
Please call 800-443-9353 ext 273 to apply for a CWI exam.
Parent - By KWCORYELL Date 04-07-2006 15:52
Hi Chris,

Which seminar site are you registered for?

I have been an AWS instructor for more than 20 years and have helped thousands of candidates get through the exam. The number of candidates that speak with me prior to a seminar are few and far between. I always appreciate helping folks get a head start. I am not sure I will be your instructor, but it doesn't matter.

There are definitely some activities you can do ahead of time which will help. You can also spend a lot of time reading/studying material that won't help.

I have found that each candidate brings a slightly different background and skill set to the seminar/exam. I would be happy to talk with you about your background and give you suggestions how to productively use your time before July arrives.

Email me if you are interested, and we can set up a teleconference.

Best wishes,
Ken Coryell, SCWI

Parent - - By justcurious (*) Date 04-09-2006 00:26
Hey Seabass
I just took my CWI test today. I'll tell you some of the stuff that I remember on my test that may help you.
1- Alot of Brazing questions
2- Know symbols
3-Know QC1-alot of questions about that and paperwork
4-Conversions were easy
5-1104 Word for word-Don't tab easier to keep finger on index
(my tabs stuck to pages) I highlighter notes.
6-Part B-8 questions that come from general knowledge rest were out of part B book
7-Know how to figure out UTS (ultimate tensile strength) Part B and fund.
8- Alot of PT (NDT) questions. Know CRT scan for UT (question shows you a UT screen and it has 3 peaks and you half to tell what middle peak is)
9-Know welding positions
10-Know tensile specimen
11-IQI for RT and placement
12- Know elecroslag welding, GMAW, FCAW (know what transition current)
13- For Part B, if most of the indications look the same, they are usually the same size (know how to use fillet gauge)

Hope this help. This was some of the things that were on my test. Good Luck, Jason
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 04-09-2006 03:37
Hi Jason,

I've been following the thread from your wife, I hope you felt good about the exam considering the circumstances of the seminar.

Hi Seabass,

To add to some of the advice from Jason:
First, download the "Body of Knowledge" at the following address: http://www.aws.org/certification/docs/cert0570.pdf
It will give you the approximate number and type of questions to expect. There are many versions of the examination, so this is just a guideline.

There is a newly released QC-1 document and on June 1, 2006 the API exam will be based on the 20th edition and the new Part B will be used for the examination. Here is the link to the page that explains these changes. Download the new Part B if your exam is scheduled after June 1.
http://www.aws.org/w/s/certification/CWI/

Conversions may be easy, but don't overlook their significance in the correct answer. Remember the most correct answer is the one you need to select.

Really pay attention to the photographs of the NDT methods. The smallest detail or details may lead you to the best answer. Observation is the key here.

For the practical examination, use the magnifying glass and the pocket scale to measure every rounded indications in 64th's. Then apply the specification with regards to individual and accumulated allowances.

Skip the questions that you are not sure of and come back at the end, but use caution when skipping so you don't get out of order on the answer sheet.

There are many excellent posts in the archives you can review and don't be shy about asking questions. Sharing knowledge is what this forum is all about.

~thirdeye~
Parent - - By cwihopeful Date 04-20-2006 14:36
Hello Chris, my name is Scott and I live in coastal GA. Noticed you were taking the CWI exam in July. Was wondering if you are taking the same Orlando seminar as I am.
Parent - - By Seabass (*) Date 04-20-2006 22:37
Scott
I am in Orlando for the seminar & test in July, the week of the 9TH - 15TH .
What code are you taking the test on? I’m doing the API code. Let’s stay in touch. How is your preparation going?

Chris
Parent - - By cwihopeful Date 04-21-2006 02:31
Chris,
That is the same week that I am going to be there. I am taking the 1104 exam. My preperation is coming along pretty well I think. My background is in the NDE field. I have been a Level II RT/MT/PT/VT and UT IIA technician for almost ten years. So I've already been around alot of this already but not quite as immersed in it as I am getting now.

I work with two CWI's who have already had their's for over ten years each so I have help available immediately for any Q's i have. They also both recently recertified and have given me a good idea of what is on the test. They both tell me that i shouldn't have much of a prob with the test since i am going through the seminar.

I also have a good working relationship with several of the fab shops here in town. I spoke with one of them today while i was shooting some radiographs about me coming by for an hour or two a couple of days a week to get a better idea of the actual welding processes themselves. I will get to see SAW, SMAW, GMAW, GTAW, and FCAW. Very few places do electroslag welding or plasma arc so I am going by a book my boss gave me to read to bone up on the various welding processes.

Have you gotten a copy of 1104 20th Edition yet? My boss just ordered one for me to use. I've been studying the 19th for the time being. The 20th Edition is 6 or 7 pages shorter so there are obviously a few changes.

Keep in touch.

Scott
Parent - - By KWCORYELL Date 04-22-2006 11:59
Hi Scott and Chris,

I am not scheduled to be the instructor in Orlando, but be alert for some changes to the 1104 Code exam which the existing CWI's have not seen. The exam has been made more challenging by increasing the number of questions from 46 to 60. The time period is still 2 hours. The additional questions are drawn primarily from Appendix A and B. These appendices were not used on the older exam.

A principal change in the 20th edition is the elimination of hole-type IQI's. API has gone totally to the wire types.

As one of the AWS instructors, I just took the new 1104 exam, and it is definitely more challenging. I am not sure of the exact date this exam will be used, but it is very, very soon.

Good luck to you both.
Parent - - By cwihopeful Date 04-22-2006 21:45
Thanks for the info. Is there anything I can do before the class that would be really beneficial to me besides just continuing to go over and over the code books?
Parent - - By KWCORYELL Date 04-23-2006 14:44
Each candidate has a slightly different background and what works for one person may not work for another. There are definitely some things you can do ahead of time but it is not efficient to read/study material outside the body of knowledge, nor put a major effort into subjects you already know. Send me an email and I would be happy to talk to you by phone and give you some suggestions which I think would help.
Parent - - By cwihopeful Date 04-24-2006 14:39
I am not going to turn down any help that is available to me. I would appreciate any advice you have to offer.

When you say "the body of knowledge" are you refering to 1104 20th Edition and the new part B? Is there anything else I should be looking over?

Thanks again,

Scott
Parent - - By KWCORYELL Date 04-25-2006 02:31
Yes,

Treat the exam as if it is 3 separate exams, each with a different strategy.

Part A-Closed Book Fundamentals
Part B-Practical
Part C-Open Code

The overall Body of Knowledge spans across all three sections.

For Part A, there are two books which have specifically been developed for these questions, "Certification Manual for Welding Inspectors" and "Welding Inspection Technology". Both these books pretty much cover the same material, but in different sequences. No need to get one of each for that reason. "Welding Inspection Technology" is used as the course text at the AWS Seminars and has an accompanying Work Book with review questions. The "Certification Manual" has review questions contained within. Any time you can spend on this material before the seminar will definitely give you an advantage. Topics that are particularly tedious during the week are Symbols and Terminology. Those that come to the seminars without having seen this info are up till the wee hours. You will receive additional review questions during the week and will be kept plenty busy as is.

For Part B, there is not as much that you can do ahead of time. You might want to get familiar with the "Part B Book of Specifications". But don't get too worried if you don't understand it all. The instructor is there to explain how it works and what to do with it. You will need to use Fillet Weld Gages, V-WAC Undercut Gage, 6" Machinist Rule, Vernier Micrometer, Dial Caliper (Metric), and a Reinforcement Gage similar to the old Navy Palmgren Gage. If you can familiarize yourself with these tools ahead of time, that might help. There is no real rocket science to any of these tools, but it takes some of the anxiety out of the week. A lot of candidates get worried about the practical because we don't really start working on it until Friday. Once you see how it's done, it's pretty straight forward, but getting some practice with the tools prior to then might alleviate some unnecessary nervousness.

Finally, for Part C, the open code, get familiar with Tables and Figures ahead of time, paying careful attention to footnotes. They are important. All the answers can be located in the Code. If people were given all day to take the test, everyone would probably ace it, or at least come close. But for the new 1104, you will have 2 hours to work 60 questions (used to be 46 questions). That's about 2 minutes average per question. You must be familiar with the contents so you can navigate quickly. Memorization doesn't work, just know where to find the info as quickly as you can. There's only one way to build up your speed and that's by spending time with your Code.

(For candidates preparing for D1.1, it is a little more complicated and a slightly different approach is recommended)

Good Luck and email me if you are interested in further suggestions. I'd be happy to talk with you on the phone.
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 04-25-2006 03:54
Scott,

Just to add a couple of things to this excellent advice:

In Part A, often times terminology can help you answer a question when you are stumped. It may help you eliminate one or two of the possible answers. I like to start reading the answers from the bottom (D) to the top (A). Many times the "none of the above" or "all of the above" answers are the C & D answers. For me, these options are good to know right away when considering the most correct answer.

Don't assume anything in Part B. Go by the book, not by "rules of thumb" or "good practice". There is a magnifying glass in the tool kit. Use it when doing critical measurements, such as measuring gas pockets, in 64ths, with the pocket scale.

For Part C, unless the rules have changed, we were allowed to index our Code books with sticky flags. Highlighting was also ok.

~thirdeye~
Parent - - By KWCORYELL Date 04-26-2006 15:45
Scott,

Some more thoughts.

I concur with "Thirdeye"

1. Yes, use the magnifying glass to measure porosity to nearest 1/64".

2. During the Part B, the practical, base your answers on information within the Part B Book of Specifications even if it seems uncomfortable.

3. From your email, I see you have a lot of API and NDT experience. That is good. For guys with your background, I usually recommend sitting through the D1.1 clinic, even if you are not taking the D1.1 exam. D1.1 is considered the starship of the welding codes and its influence is evident in the Fundamentals (Part A) and Practical (Part B) Exams. In other words, taking the API 1104 Open Code Exam does not completely release you from the clutches of D1.1 Many of the tables and forms in the Part B book of specifications are developed from D1.1. You don't have to study D1.1 with the same intensity as the D1.1 open code candidates will, but getting familiar with prequalified joint details, filler metal selection, preheat, and qualification tables will help.

4. When taking the test, answer the question that is being asked, not the question that you think is being asked. In other words, read the stem of the question carefully. Look at ALL of the multiple choice answers (distractors) offered and select the best answer. The first correct answer is not necessarily the best answer.

5. It is a full day of testing. Two parts of the exam are administered before lunch and the third and final part is administered after lunch. Over the years, I have interviewed many successful and unsuccessful candidates. A common reason for being unsuccessful is that they (well frankly) get cocky on the third part of the exam. The adrenilin is flowing and they are doing pretty good during the first two parts in the morning. Something about that lunch break that causes them to cool off and get out of the zone. After lunch there seems to be a premature celebration-kinda like that football player that started dancing before he made it to the endzone and had the ball stripped away. Seems strange, but many candidates have been unsuccessful for that reason. Treat the lunch break as an adversary and do not allow that period to take you out of your concentration zone. The last question of the third and final part of the exam must be worked with the same care, thought, and intensity as the first question on the first part of the exam. And you will be tired. You want to be at your mental and physical peak on that Saturday. Start thinking about that day now. Get a good night rest the night before. Late night cramming the night before almost always backfires.

6. As "Thirdeye" mentions, you are still permitted to highlight and tab your code book. You are not permitted to use any loose pages or notes (except Code errata sheets). The decision to use/not use tabs and highlights is personal. The correct tab and highlight system is the one that works for you. Some folks tab the heck out of their books and have them all marked up. Others don't. It has been my experience that with 1104, because there are not that many pages involved, most people don't use many tabs. The Table of Contents, List of Tables, and List of Figures work pretty good at getting you to where you need to get. Tabs and highlights can give you confidence, however, even if you don't end up using them that much. It's a personal call. If you think it helps, by all means do it!

(Again, for candidates preparing for the D1.1 exam, it's a different story)

Ken C.
Parent - - By justcurious (*) Date 04-26-2006 16:36
When I was taking the pratical part of the test, one of the things that I found was that if you don't get the first question right, you will get the next 3 or 4 wrong. You can measure it 4 different ways and get 4 different answers and most of them will be a choice on the test.

Then you half to take the first answer and carry it on to the next question, then take that answer and carry it on to the next question.

I am also in NDT. The pratical was the hardest for me. The 1104 and NDT was the easiest to me. I agree with above post that said to study and be familiar with D1.1. I think that most of the stuff on my test came out of that book. I used up most of my time in the pratical part of the test. I kept double guessing my answers. I finally just laid everything down and got magif. glass and straight ruler. Easier for me.

Thanks, Jason
Parent - - By KWCORYELL Date 04-26-2006 17:30
Jason,

Your experience is not unique. Many NDT and 1104 guys struggle with the practical for various reasons and one of those is the D1.1 style and format.

Regarding "linked" questions, I personally don't care for that practice and have expressed this view to the exam bank folks. The new practical, which I just took last week, has discontinued this practice. I'm not sure exactly when the new practical will be used-soon I understand.

The linked questions in the past have primarily related to tensile specimen measurements, calculating tensile strength, and converting these values to metric equivalents. You could miss a series of questions by carrying over the same mistake from question to question. And when you can only miss 13/46 questions, that doesn't leave much margin to play with.

The Certification Committee continuously works on improving the exam and it has changed many times. And the exam is what it is. I doubt that any candidate or instructor will be completely satisfied with its content and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Challenged questions do get reviewed.

I know that candidates who only go through the program once often confuse the Certification Exam and the Practice exercises we do before the exam. Everything fuzzes together after the meat grinder of a week is over. We definitely use a lot more "linked" questions during the class than appear on the Certification Exam and that is for training purposes. In my case, if I see that you make a series of errors, I can usually tell what fundamental you are missing and we can fix it.

In the meantime, forwarned is forarmed.
Ken C.

Parent - - By cwihopeful Date 04-26-2006 22:09
Ken, Jason, thirdeye

Thanks for all the input. I will put it to good use, I promise.

Ken - I would assume the new practical would go into effect with the new 1104 exam wouldn't you. Seems like as good a time as any to introduce a new exam.

Jason - What was it about the practical exactly that was giving you trouble? Indication sizes? Defect types? ??

Thanks again guys,
Scott
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-27-2006 10:28
cwihopeful(Scott),
I'll share my experience concerning the practical exam.
Several guys had warned me to measure those samples close and be ready for samples that are on the edge of the rejection/acceptance line and read the applicable notes closely before making a decision. I was prepared for the samples have .374" of porosity when .375" was rejectable per the governing code given for this exam, because one of those guys had told me his sample welds were like that.
I took the exam and the kit that I had wasn't anything like I was warned about. All of the samples were clearly one way or the other and I didn't feel like I was splitting hairs to decide which way to answer. So, I left the exam pretty sure I had flunked it based upon the experience I had with those samples vs what I had been warned about. There are several different sets of samples, so you may or may not get a set that is as clear cut as the one I had. When my results came back I had passed missing only but a few questions out of all three parts of the exam.
My advice is get to well prepared and it will all come together for you on exam day. If there are parts of the study material that are vague to you, study over the materilas until they become very familiar.
John Wright
Parent - By KWCORYELL Date 04-28-2006 16:03
Scott,
The New 1104 exam and the New Practical will not necessarily be introduced at the same time. I am trying to get better info. Both are soon.
Ken
Parent - By BMason (*) Date 07-25-2007 15:57
Ken,
what do you recommend for preparing for d1.1? i will be taking the CWI seminar and exam later this year...and most likely will be taking the d1.1 code
thanks,
brian
Parent - - By henri (*) Date 04-27-2006 08:25
A few comments

1. The D1.1 open book is relatively straightforward if you know how to breakdown the question, and determine: subject matter, key words etc. If you can do that, use of either the index, table of contents, and or tabs will direct you to the correct reference. Personally I think it helps if you know certain basic things off the top of your head as this saves time.

2. As pointed out by others, even if you opt for the API 1104, attending the D1.1 code clinic will help you comprehend some of the tables in Specification B, which will be utilized in the Practical Exam. However, it does not hurt to review it ahead of time alongside the Visual Inspection Workshop Reference Manual VIW-M http://www.aws.org/certification/CWI/partb2006.pdf

3. In my opinion, both the Certification Manual and Welding Inspection Technology are necessary to review, because each one has some questions not found in the other. Those 2 references will account for at least 80 to 90% of the questions in the 150 question Fundamentals exam. Make sure you go over those questions at least 2 to 3 times. Understanding terminology is extremely important; some of the terms in AWS A 3.0 which are not covered in the WTI or Cert Manual might come in the fundamentals exam.

4. The practical exam is very easy if you know how to use the weld measuring tools, and comprehend Appendix B. The questions in the AWS seminar are much tougher. In addition to questions based on evaluating plastic replicas and Appendix B, there are about almost 10 or probably more questions based on fundamentals of welding.

5. Taking the AWS CWI seminar is a great idea but make sure you have gone through all the study material before you take it.

Prior to taking the exam in 1995, I took a six day course given by a local chapter. Classes were held on Saturdays. Wisely about 1/3 of the class did not take the exam right away because the results we obtained for plastic replicas did not conform to the answers; something was obviously not right. Out of the 15 bold people who took it, only a handful passed; the rest passed the open book and fundamentals but flunked the practical . Afterwards, I got together with a pal who had just taken the AWS CWI seminar and passed. He provided me with invaluable tips which I brought to the attention of the instructor. He sat down with the rest of us and focused on the information my friend had furnished. Most of us who waited ended up passing.

Unfortunately I forgot to renew the certification and had to take the exam again. I was certain I was going to pass but decided to take the AWS CWI seminar because a business associate wanted me to take it and was willing to pay all expenses. The AWS instructor was extremely knowledgeable, focused, and delivered way beyond my expectations. The information he conveyed was mcuh more than was needed to pass (example: delving into fatigue stress design parameters). However, I did notice that some individuals struggled to keep up with him...and when I spoke with some of them, they confessed that they had not done any study preparation prior to taking the seminar.
Parent - By cwihopeful Date 04-27-2006 17:39
John and Henri,

Thanks for the extra advice. I am taking the seminar that covers D 1.1, 1104, Visual, and everything. It is more expensive but I think the experience from covering D1.1 will be very helpful to me in the future.

Thanks,

Scott

Edit: Received my second confirmation letter from AWS today for my seminar and exam. The new 1104 exam and new practical exams will both begin as of June 1, 2006.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Exam Help & Preparation