Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / welding on chassis
- - By webbcity (***) Date 04-06-2006 15:48
an interesting note on on welding without thinking . battery ground strap should be disconnected to protect all electronics on board such as; engine ECM , trans. ECM , and ABS ECU . permanent damage to the ECU could result . "a strong smell of burned plastic may fill the air and this $500 mistake may be smelled all the way to the front office" . good luck with repairs on trucks . willie
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-06-2006 16:32
Hello Willie, one other thing to add to your post. If you are using a tig welding machine or a plasma cutter that utilizes high-frequency arc initiation you may end up with some serious problems also relating to electrical component failures. Just my $.02 Regards, aevald
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 04-09-2006 16:50
hello allan , i enjoy your posts on this forum , it is nice that you can take the time to do this for all of us who read the post but don't answer as often . i am going to mount a crane unit on a new truck . it will go to northern alaska and at some time to kodiak island on the highway system . i have been doing dot inspections since they were first required so try to keep up with industry training . just did brake clinic . one of the things i got out of it "welding on chassis" because of all the new system controls . i think it is important to post this information so others may be aware of these things also . again thanks for your post . willie
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 04-09-2006 19:45
Hello Willie, thanks for the response. I enjoy all of the topics on the forum and never stop learning different tidbits of information regarding a host of different items. It's also good to experience different points of view and perspective regarding various situations. There are truly a vast cross-section of respondents on the forum and they all bring a lot to the table and you are right, many folks don't often think about the little things that go along with the welding and fabrication trade and I think that it is good to make that information available to hopefully save somebody some possible grief. Have a great day and Regards, Allan
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / welding on chassis