Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Welding Instructors that are CWIs.
- - By Seabass (*) Date 04-07-2006 12:38
This one is for all of you out there that are welding instructors who are also CWIs.
I was looking over the QC7-93 Standard for AWS Certified Welders. The 4.3 Restriction part of it states that ( An applicant shall not be tested by a Test Supervisor who conducted or was responsible for training the applicant).
I am going to college to be a welding instructor.I am also taking the CWI Exam. Am I going to be able to AWS certify my students completing my welding program? Does my school have to be an AWS accredited testing facility to certify students? Do I have to hold the title as a test supervisor? What is AWS's policy on conflict of interest, if that's what it is?

I hope these are not stupid questions?
Looking forward to some first hand responses.
Thank you,
Chris
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-07-2006 14:07
Seabass,

You are correct about accredited test facilities:
AWS EG2.0
A8.0 AWS Accredited Test Facilities (AWS QC4)
"AWS Accredited Test Facilities are designed to iimplemejnt the QC7 Program. Under this program instructors may not test and qualify welders they have trained...."

However, the same doccument states:
"...In the QC10 program for entry level welders, instructors are afforded the lattitude of training, testing, and qualifiying trainees."

If the program you intend to work in (high school, college, private) is a one man show, than being an accredited test facility is going to be very problematic.

But... You may easily be a S.E.N.S.E school and an "EIM" Educational Institution Member through the AWS no matter what the size of your instruction/inspection staff. When I took over the program at my Tech College we had no affiliation at all. We now participate in SENSE and are an EIM, and are hoping to grow the program so that we might entertain the idea of becoming an accredited test facility some day. I strongly endorce both and judge the investment to be minimal when the returns start comming in.

Here is a link to the SENSE and EIM data with some good frequently asked questions near the bottom of the link.
http://www.aws.org/w/s/education/sense/

Note: For the sake of being accurate, I'm not a CWI :)
Parent - - By striper Date 04-18-2006 17:12
Chris,
The Main Cert Committee made a discision on teaching and testing several years ago. Its OK. The new QC-7 and QC-4 have removed 4.3 . The new generation of certified welders QC-7 will allow trained CWIs to give an AWS cert test as long as the work through an ATF. Look for alot of changes in the next QC-4 and QC-7. We are about a year and half away . Good luck MR. Inspector

Stan
Parent - - By WELDTECH (*) Date 04-18-2006 18:21
Can a CWI qualify a welder in accordance with D1.1 without going through an accredited test facility? Is he allowed to do a fillet break test or a macro-etch in the field? Could he provide a company with a prequalified WPS document? Could he qualify a procedure to D1.3 without using an ATF? Just curious.
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 04-19-2006 01:13
The answer is yes to all of the questions.
Parent - By carlos hernandez Date 02-11-2009 20:07
Looking for a welding expert who has gone in front of a judge to testify about, what kind of conditions you need to be in and if you have a sprain knee how much work you can do please e mail me at carloshernandez818@att.net
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Welding Instructors that are CWIs.