Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Union Welders
- - By Seabass (*) Date 04-07-2006 13:01
This one is for all of you Union guys out there.

Out of the Pipefitters, Boilermakers, Millwrights, and the Ironworkers unions, which one of these trades would you recommend to students joining that are coming fresh out of a welding program from a BOCES school or a college level welding program. These are all great Unions!!! I am just looking for some input on the pros and cons of being a Union Welder in any of these trades.

Sincerely,
Chris
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-07-2006 13:21
Seabass,

I think the answer is going to be regional. In my area (upper midwest) the Iron Workers are really doing well, taking on some apprentices and producing great craftspeople. I hear the same with the Boilermakers although I have less contact with them. (right now I'm only in the teachers union :)

We also have a few very good non union shops that train and pay in house in order to compete with the unions for top talent.
Parent - - By Seabass (*) Date 04-07-2006 13:51
Lawrence,
Are you a welding instructor at the technical college?
If so I have a couple of questions for you in the Educators section of the forum. Subject title Welding Instructors that are CWIs.
Chris
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-07-2006 18:48
Hello Chris, I believe that Lawrence gave you pretty accurate information regarding the union and also non-union scenario regarding where your students can look for work once they have finished with you and sometimes even before they are done with you. If at all possible you need to take time to cultivate relationships with the various union organizations that are in your area as well as the various employers that would be hiring your students. You will want to remain neutral regarding options for either of these choices, stick to facts regarding strong and weak points for justification of a particular union or non-union choice. Your allegiance should be to your students and their preparation for the working world and not to any specific business sector necessarily. There are going to be pros and cons to any particular trade union that a person looks at, I feel the trick is to select the one that best fits the individuals strengths and desires and at the same time is realistic for the current economic condition and work that is available. When Lawrence mentioned the Ironworkers in his area he was most likely referring to the fact that they are the particular union at this time that is busiest and doing the most hiring or has the most work right now. So these choices are definitely tied to regional needs. Having said that, there is a ton of data available from a myriad of sources that can tell you that all of the unions and trade businesses in general will be looking for qualified individuals in the future for many years to come. If you have students that are wanting to travel or who are willing to relocate they will likely have no trouble finding work in any given area or particular trade union.
I noticed that you had a post in the educational section of the forum asking about testing and certification of students. I teach at a community college and also do testing and certification, however I am not a CWI/CWE, I am actually qualified by the state of Washington to certify welders for structural welding in the state under an organization they call WABO (Washington Association of Building Officials), they use AWS D1.1 and associated standards but are not affiliated with AWS. I test both outside welders and my students as well. As far as conflict of interest goes, it certainly could be argued that this is a conflict, I would say, however, that I hold students to an even more stringent set of guidelines than I do outside testers that I deal with. My justification for higher standards for students has to do with the fact that they have familiarity with the machines in the shop and they also have a very clear understanding of the performance that is expected of them. They also have been working for extended lengths of time to achieve success on the tests before they actually formally take the test. We come to a mutual agreement when I feel that they are ready to test and their fail rates are very low. Another thing in regards to this situation has to do with the fact that perspective employers of these students will almost always give a performance test of their own and only accept the qualification that the students hold after verifying results with their own tests. The hardest thing for students to accept after they have completed training at a school of some sort is that they are still entry level individuals and until they have actually had real world experiences in the trade can they consider themselves somewhat qualified to work above that level. Hope this helps some. Best of luck and Regards, aevald
Parent - By pipehead (***) Date 04-08-2006 06:02
I work both Union and non Union and I know right there is a big demand for entry level and apprentice welders through the pipeliners union (798) . They have alot of people on the out of work list but those are the guys that are picky and bitchy.(sorry if I offended any premodonna's). If they are hard workers willing to travel and work in any conditions they can go to work emidiatly.

Truly sorry if anyone is offended..
Parent - By MBlaha (***) Date 04-09-2006 17:51
Right now in Wi, the Boilermakers, Iron Workers, and Pipe Fitters are all taking on apprentices. The Boilermakers are advertising nation wide to get apprentices and permit hands. We have work here for the next 10 years. Not sure what will happen after that, but now we are in the height of feast on the feast or famine totem pole.

Mike
Parent - By Cat Mechanic (*) Date 04-11-2006 01:09
Chris,

I'd say if you want to point the kids in a direction that will allow them to further learn and develop their skills to truly do quality welds, I'd recommend looking at the pipefitters if they are heading for E Iowa. I used to weld on heavy equipment before taking my job running a crane (union operator). I'm familiar with what it takes to make a quality weld and work with most of the different trades. The best welding I see by far is by the fitters. The worst is generally ironworkers. Consider that this may vary by region due to the differences in training programs. It pays to check things out very carefully before jumping in, any of the unions may have good programs and good people, but I would visit some jobsites and observe the quality of the work coming out of a training program before recommending it.

Hope this helps,
Jim
Parent - - By joglazier (*) Date 04-21-2006 15:20
Dont forget the mighty glazier union as the ironheads are getting into installing our glass we are attacking the welding at the curtain wall connections. There is a real big shortage of certified fcaw nr232 welders in northern california
Parent - - By boilermaker (**) Date 06-16-2006 19:17
If the students want a career with a future and retirement afterwards, go union.  Union members working a 40 hour week earn more than the nonunion.  Statistcally, unions are safer than nonunion.  With all of the construction going on in the midwest right now, it is a feast situation.  Also with union affiliation, they would go through an apprenticeship which would teach them the rest of the skills of the trade, ie, rigging, layout, and the list goes on and on.  Check out this website, have your students look at it, and let them make their own decision...www.boilermakers.org
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-16-2006 20:28
Do you have a reference for the statistics regarding the safety statement ?  I feel you are correct but that is only based on my 20 years non union and 3 or 4 Union.

Thanks
Parent - - By drifter57 (**) Date 06-20-2006 23:54
The roughest of the bunch are the Piledrivers Union
but if you want to stay clean, look into the electritions union.
Parent - By texredneck (**) Date 06-21-2006 04:46
I know a guy who is retired pile drivers.  One heck of a good weldor, and he knows his stuff.   Its tough work, and its dangerous.  But the money is out of this world.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Union Welders