Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New shop opening, bidding and rates?
- - By Humvee67 (*) Date 04-09-2006 06:19
Hi, I just joined this forum. My wife and I are opening a small weld/fab shop. 10+ years exp. in various work, mostly mig. I'm certified also in AutoCAD drafting. What do you all supose we could charge for a minimum and hourly rate b-4 materiels and consumables. Southern Indiana. We will specialize in framework, angle, tubing, channel. General welding and repair. I also could use tips on bidding a job of such areas. Thanks.
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 04-09-2006 15:05
i charge $50.00 for shop and $65 for portable with a 2 hour mimimum.im north of okc and alot of guys charge 65 around here for shop and 70 for portable.
Parent - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 04-09-2006 15:07
on bigger jobs, if you figure your steel at retail,your labor will be close to the figure of the steel ....somewhat of a 50%....50%.this doesnt always work....but in my line of work, it does.i build alot of pipe and cable fence.
Parent - - By storts Date 04-09-2006 16:42
Hi There,,,what size shop?what type of equipment,,do you have lifting capibilitys,,overhead cranes,,fork trucks, del. truck, INS.??????????????Thats you biggest,,,a CPA?Ive beenat it for almost 30 years,,,when things are good,,,there good,,,bu ive been thru 2 ressions,,and whatever we are in now,,as I only do work for 3 contractors,,there all fortune 100 companys,,,,a DUNS #?and you ready to wear 17 hats a day,,,?????????

Not to scare you,,but these are the things that go with a legit buisness,,and not out of your garage,,,So My answer would all depend on what are you capabilities,,,,Good Luck,Jack
Parent - - By Humvee67 (*) Date 04-10-2006 10:24
Thanks, Shorthood,
Storts, The building is 1800 Sq ft,(30'x60'). Got overhead hoist, fork truck, and car trailer. Plan to go mobile in the near futer. Wife is a Tax Pro @ H&R Block. What is DUNS #, please? Tax ID#? Not yet. Got the place on the 1st of april, I couldnt pass it up. My landlord is a business consultant for a "business incubator". He sets people up with all that legal stuff, and marketing (phone book ad, ect). He's $50 an hour, but he shouldnt need too much time on me all at once.
I work a 2nd shift job modifying semi trucks, fire trucks, ag equip, trailers. During the day this past week, I've been puting out my card and flyers, trying to see if I can land a steady contract for continuous work, I need tips on how not to screw myself into a major problem.
Remember, this is just a small operation. I'm 38, but can really put out some work, in my prime.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 04-11-2006 10:18
Tax ID#

A federal tax identification number, also know as an employer identification number or EIN, is a number assigned solely to your business by the IRS. Your tax ID number is used to identify your business to several federal agencies responsible for the regulation of business. If your state taxes personal services, or if you are required to collect sales taxes on your sales, you need a federal tax ID number. All the government forms you will be required to file for your business will require either a Social Security number or a tax ID number.

Look to the left, under Businesses Topics, and click Employer ID Numbers:

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/index.html

DUNS#

Dun and Bradstreet is a company that provides business information for credit, marketing, and purchasing decisions. It's data universal numbering system, DUNS, issues unique 9-digit numbers that are used by businesses and the federal government to keep track of more than 70 million businesses worldwide. Some entities, such as states and universities, will also have what is known as DUNS + 4," which is used to identify specific units within a larger entity.

http://www.ccr.gov/pdfs/DUNSGuideGovVendors.pdf

As for how much to charge, excluding any profit mark up, you would need to add up all your monthly operating costs (example: $50,000.00/mo.), then determine your billable hours to your customers by determining the number of employees and the amount of hours they work each week (example: 4 employees at 50 hours each week = 200 hours, x 4 weeks/month = 800 hours). In this example, you would have to charge your customer $62.50 per hour just to break even.

Good luck with your business.
Parent - - By storts Date 04-12-2006 15:25
Thanks,SW!!!!!!!When i bought my co,,which is 101 years old this year,,im the 4th or5th owner,,,still need to Have the gentleman answer what he has for equipment,,,,,a shear,,a press brake,,a iron worker,,

I was taught 30 years ago,,when there was a ton of manufacturing in the USA,,if you paid the employee 10 bucks a hour,,you would charge 30,,,,10 for the employee..10 for the company,,,and 10 for you as the owner,,,Welllllllllllll,,,,we all know those days are long gone,,,that might pay yout ins,,,,and back then heath ins was not a big problem,,,,not today,,,,,Workmans comp is controlled my the state,,,in ct. where i am is close to 28%,,,in N.J. Ive been told its close to 5-6%,,,do they make steel different,,,,workmans comp as a owner in ct,you dont have to have on yourself as a owner,,,But everybody else did!!!!!!!!!I dont know if you have the same problem we have here,,,a guy in a pickup, welder,,torches,,,,reg in his own name,,no ins...no ein #,,,no buisness phone,,,and usuallly does all the contractors that owe every welding co,,,,,all my custs require a duns #,,a cert of ins,,,and when you say mobile,,,put a seat belt on for that ins bill,,,Even if you incorporate,,a smart lawyer will have that protection you thought you had tossed out in a heart beat,,,,,If I had to do it all over again,,i would in a heart beat,,,my first love is the welding buisness,,But i make alot more money inspecting houses,,,,which i went back,and got my degree 3 years ago,,,But then you have to be licenced by the state,,,In ct. welders put up a sign and your a welder,,,,And the horror storrries that i can tell over 30 years,,,,its amazing that no one has gotton killed from there work,,,,,,These are all the things to think of,,,,theres alot to it,than you think,,,good fortune 100 companys are not going to get rid of a co, thats been treating them goood for many years,,,When a contractor would bring a bucket in,,,at 4 pm,,and tell you that he needs 2 teeeth put on that bucket for 7 am,,,red flag goes up,,,OK,,,who did he not pay,,,and thats why you are seeing him for the first time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Contractors take a bad rap,,and there alot of good ones out there that pay there bills,,,But there taken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Go make friends with some of the other job shops,,,,,and BE HONEST!!!!!!! with them,,,1st unritten rule,,never steal a cust ffrom another welding co,,,,,try that and see how it goes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Its a hole different world out there now,,than 15 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!But honesty pays off,as if he gets overloaded with work,,,he can and probably throw it your way,,,,All customers think you have this Super duper weldment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Again,,,Good Luck,Jack
Parent - By Humvee67 (*) Date 04-12-2006 21:01
Thanks for the good advise guys, keep it coming.
Parent - - By inspect_ERI Date 04-19-2006 17:37
What part of Southern Indiana?
Parent - - By Humvee67 (*) Date 04-19-2006 23:49
Evansville,,,,Do you work at ERI in Chandler? I worked for central tower years ago.
Parent - - By inspect_ERI Date 04-20-2006 17:07
Yes I work at ERI. What is the name of your company?
Parent - - By Humvee67 (*) Date 04-20-2006 18:38
hi, so far, we call it Moore welding and fabrication. We had our building since the 1st of april. Dont worry, I dont think we'll be any kind of competition for you. lol. We are just starting out and looking for a light production contract to get off the ground. Then we can get specialty jods and walk-ins. It's kinda slow going right now. But hopefully soon you will see our name out there. I see you guys are hiring, I might check it out if something dosent happen soon, and work on this business part time. I have a new full time job coming on the 1st of may if I want it.
Parent - - By inspect_ERI Date 04-21-2006 14:41
We are looking for welding shops to out source mis. items. give us a call
Parent - By Humvee67 (*) Date 04-21-2006 16:27
Just called @ 11:00 AM. Left a message with someone//?
My e-mail is bjm67@hotmail.com.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New shop opening, bidding and rates?