Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Metal for Auto turbo Manifold ?
- - By lewis edwards (*) Date 04-09-2006 18:00
A student of mine had someone machine him a low carbon steel , plate 1/2" thick , to bolt onto the engin block . He then bought some 304 SS sch 40 pipe elbows to weld to the plate . He also wants to weld a low carbon steel block to the pipe to mount his turbo . The person that is machining the steel plates want them to be out of steel so they will be easier to machine . This student is here to GTA weld . I told him that he should exspect this to crack . What alloys and filler metals should be used in this situation ? I would prefer not useing low carbon steel at all but I'm not qualified to make the right decision . It is beyond his financial capabilities to cast this item . He has the power sourse needed to use SMAW . Thank you
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-09-2006 19:36
Hello Lewis Edwards, I would make the suggestion to use 309L to make the welds between the carbon steel and the 304 SS and if he is welding 304 SS elbows to 304 pipe I would probably use 308L filler for this portion. These are my suggestions, you may hear others from folks on the forum. Best of luck and Regards, aevald
Parent - By lewis edwards (*) Date 04-11-2006 00:56
A paper I have said that E309 will leave a hard layer on the steel side subject to cracking in service . Being that this is ging to need to withstand numerious heating - cooling cycles ductility is necessary .We have had OK results useing 309 flux core on what ever is SS but bad luck with 309 "what ever" SS and steel in a stress relieve furnace . This paper recamends useing alloy 182 covered electrode,ERNiCrFe-3 or alloy 82 bare wire , ERNiCr-3 . Alloy 62 bare wire , ERNiCrFe-5 and ENiCRfe-2 covered electrodes are also aproperiate . On another post they mentioned usein 316 stainless . In the heat treat shop where I work we use 330 nickle alloy , that would work but is over kill . We use "Dyecotrode Thermalloy C " at work for dissimilar metals and repair of old stuff , with outstanding reasults . I had the engine cover off of my old van and could see the exaust manifold turning reder under power and cooling off slightly down hill .
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Metal for Auto turbo Manifold ?