Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Assessing Gouging Electrode Diametere
- - By comcam6 (*) Date 04-10-2006 12:56
hi,

any body help me for choosnig carbon arc gouging electrode diameter for each thickness of the base metal ??

I mean wheather are there any limitation of amprage or diameter of electrode not to burn up base metal in low thicknesses?
Parent - - By PhilThomas (**) Date 04-10-2006 14:35
Take a look here:

http://www.thermadyne.com/uplFiles/prodSpotlight/89_250_008.pdf

Hope it helps,

Parent - By comcam6 (*) Date 04-11-2006 05:53
Thank you for information ,

then as it shows there is no corelation between electrode diametere and base metal thickness ,
and the main agent of determination of air carbon gouging variable of base metal is its chemical composition.
ok?
Parent - - By MBlaha (***) Date 04-11-2006 10:52
Alot depends on what you are doing.

If you are doing demolition, then you want at least 1/4" or bigger.
If you are backgouging a butt joint, it would depend on how much penetration you obtained on your root pass. The deeper you would have to go, the larger diameter. The largest I ever used was 1/2" but that was on a automatic gouger, and we were backgouging 1" diameter steel on a kiln on rollers but only gouging about 1/4"-3/16" deep. There really is not a rule of thumb, just what you can handle and what you are trying to accomplish.

Hope this helps

Mike
Parent - - By comcam6 (*) Date 04-11-2006 11:16
Thank you for information ,

in some cases while gouging low-thickness (12mm) plates, I saw a change in color near to the gouging area in EN355N and was concerned about a possible metalurgical change of HAZ area. I have tried to measure the temperature by templestick a few times, but it was negligible.
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 04-11-2006 19:12
Any steel that has had carbon arc gouging done on it will have a HAZ regardless of the size of the electrode used. Using good technique will have more to do with the size/extent of the HAZ than the size of the electrode. You would not have any operating problems using up to even 5/8" diameter electrodes on your 1/2" plate. I doubt that you want a gouge that wide though. I am not sure what EN355N plate is, but if it is a 355MPa normalized carbon steel (just a guess on my part based on the nomenclature), proper carbon-arc gouging will not have a detrimental affect on the material. Just make sure you remove all the carbon residue before welding if done. If it is a more hardenable steel, then preheating should be used since the HAZ for proper carbon-arcing cools off faster than the HAZ for welding, it has a propensity to harden more than welding. However, if subsequent welding is done, it eliminates the HAZ from arcing.
Parent - By lewis edwards (*) Date 04-15-2006 02:55
I always select the diamiter of rod that matches the size of gouge that I want . Material or thickness has no affect on the opperation of carbons . It's the amperage that determins the rate of burn consumtion . DCEP works best unless you get a build up of carbon or a piece of carbon breaks of in the joint . When this happens you need to switch to DCEN .
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Assessing Gouging Electrode Diametere