Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / chevy or ford diesel
- - By jfswelder (*) Date 04-11-2006 22:04
hey guys, i have a welding rig which sits on 2003 3500 chevy , but i am looking to upgrade to deisel. Right know my truck gets about 12 miles a gallon. i am looking for better mileage. Chevy or ford?
Parent - By tito (**) Date 04-11-2006 22:25
Chevy 2500 crew cab duramax gets about 17-20mpg hwy.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 04-11-2006 22:42
Hello jfswelder, are you trying to start a war? (just kidding), although some folks get pretty worked up over makes, if you're strictly trying to come up with the best mileage, you may find that the Fords and Dodges are actually a bit better than the Chevy in the mileage department, you may also find that the 1997 Ford and probably the same year Dodge may have the best overall mileage. All of them have had their share of transmission woes and the Dodge has had injection problems in the newer 24 valve versions of the cummins diesel up to around 2003 or so, the Chevy in the earlier duramaxes had some serious head problems although the brand new ones I believe have that worked out. What I'm really trying to say here is that of the three, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, you may want to look for the best overall deal, mileage on the vehicle, overall condition mechanically, how it looks aesthetically, number of options, gearing, how comfortably you sit in the cab, how well you can see out of it when you're driving it, things like that, because the very minimal differences in mileage will take a really long time to make up if you look at the cost of the vehicle and make this kind of comparison. Frame wise and such, I believe the Ford and Chevy have the stoutest frame and running gear, the newer Chevy's are probably the most expensive so you ought to take that into consideration. Personally I drive a Ford, it's an "87 diesel 3/4 ton 4x4" and it has over 300,000 miles on and it still gets from point A to point B. This thread is going to be a Lu Lu so hang onto your hats folks. Power wise I'm pretty sure they're all pretty comparable, argueably. Good luck and have fun, Regards, aevald
Parent - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 04-12-2006 01:04
I had very bad luck with ford powerstroke.i welded with an supercab 4x4,dually.2 engines,2 transmissions later......i would stay away from the powerstroke.i got 9 to 12 mpg.my truck weighed in at 14000 lbs.
Parent - By MAC702 (*) Date 04-12-2006 06:06
My stepdad has a 95 F-250 4x4 manual-shift with the 7.3L turbo Powerstroke. I think he said he gets about 15 MPG, and it's usually empty.

For comparison, my 96 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 dually (automatic) gets 13 MPG (city) from its Cummins, and it's always loaded with welding machine and lots of tools.

This was a recent upgrade from my 95 F-250 2WD with a 460 and an automatic which got 10.9 MPG city and 9.9 MPG highway.
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 04-12-2006 08:10
it depends on what you want and what you need and what you can afford . my nephew works on the north slope about 3 years ago they got a fleet of new diesel chevys but had not turned in their fords yet they had to get rid of all the new chevys because they had trouble with all of them . they had to put drain pans under the exhaust because they could not keep the oil from leaking out of exhaust . arctic conditions are harsh . another friend bought one chevy diesel in idaho and drove it up had no problems that i've heard of yet . another friend w/ chevy diesel drove up from ohio didn't have trouble till the trans. went out at pink mountain (400 miles or so on alcan hwy.) then pulled into gas station later on his trip and was gassed up instead of diesel. we have a 2004 f-350 power stroke diesel it must get around 22-25mpg 2wd 5spd. w/od with 100gal. tank in bed we use to fill our equipment was special order geared real nice . it has old style halogen head lites which are very important they will melt snow off of them from the heat of the lamps the newer ones with plastic lenses do not . i have a 87 e-350 has about 300k miles haven't drove for a while got around 20 mph also have a 96 f-250 gas 4wd gets about 7-8 mpg has 238k miles wish i would have got the diesel because they get better mileage and last longer . good luck with your choice of truck .let us know what you do . willie
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 04-12-2006 11:18
I used to own a Ford truck and I was constantly getting sympathy cards from the Department of Transportation. The exhaust system was so bad people were hiring me to bring my truck to their house to fog for mosquitos. I had preferred customer status at NAPA, Advanced Auto, and CarQuest. Seriously, Ford plays a major role in helping to keep the towing industry alive and thriving, but their engineers are constantly looking for ways to improve on that image. The next line of Ford cars will be more aerodynamically designed so that Chevy tow trucks get better gas mileage, and the F-150’s will have bigger bumpers to make towing easier. They’re currently testing magnetized bumpers that will be strong enough to catch the parts that keep falling off.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-12-2006 11:49
Chevy.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/jwright650/junk%20folder/my2004Silverado.jpg
John Wright
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 04-12-2006 13:40
Hey John? Why is there a tricycle on the ground in back of that truck? Pushing the truck maybe?

Chet
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-12-2006 17:16
No Chet, that was my son's bicycle that we hauled in the back of the truck just in case we ran up on another brand of truck broke down on the side of the road, we could offer them a ride:) LOL.
John Wright
Parent - By texredneck (**) Date 04-12-2006 17:48
Im all about international :D
What about a peterbuilt. I want to see a real man's welding rig built on the back of a peterbuilt
Then nobody will complain about ford vs chev,
too busy picking their jaws up off the ground when they see my peterbuilt :D
Parent - - By jfswelder (*) Date 04-13-2006 22:07
thanks for the advice guys there is still plenty of reseach i would have to do before i make an upgrade thanks
Parent - - By pipehead (***) Date 04-17-2006 02:53
It's all a matter of preference and they all have there share of problems. But so far I have had the best luck with the dodge. I had a 94 dodge that rigged out weighted out at 13200 I put 384600 miles on it and went through one transmission. I now have two rigs one of wich is a dodge and one a ford. The ford is a great truck and I have put 120000 on it with no problems, But it does not run or get the mileage that my 03 dodge gets. I have been getting around 18mpg with my dodge ( weight around 14000) and around 14 to 15 with My ford (13700)

Hope that helps
Parent - By theweldor (*) Date 04-18-2006 00:45
I have a welding truck on a 2006 International 4400. I built the body and put a Lincoln Airvantage 500 on it. It definetly turns a lot of heads. I have had Fords and Chevys over the years. Nothing matches this though.
theweldor
Parent - - By K.N.94PSD Date 04-19-2006 07:55
I'd go with the Ford. Although, the earlier (2003 & some 2004) 6.0L PowerStrokes had some problems, the later models seem to be great. Heck, there's several of these trucks in Iraq right now, and those that are driving the Super-Duties swear by them, talk about a harsh environment. Truck for truck, I think you'll find the Fords to be the best out there. Since you already drive a Chevy, have you compared the low frame height to that of a higher Ford or Dodge? To me, it's scary how low to the ground the Chevy frames they are, plus all that weak independent front suspension stuff. I don't think you could go wrong with a Ford PowerStroke, as long as you avoid the 2003 6.0L.

Hope it helps,
K.N.

Parent - - By texredneck (**) Date 04-19-2006 08:23
YOu speak of the fords in Iraq....what do you know about them? Are they the F-250 and are they fully armored? I would assume so, based on where they are. Im just curious if you dont mind. Company I work for is building these, well modifying these vehicles. There was one blowed up a week or so ago. Supposedly both guys in the truck survived. I must say I was impressed.
CHRIS
Parent - - By K.N.94PSD Date 04-19-2006 17:31
As far as Fords in Iraq, here is one article that should suffice. http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/news/f350iraq.html Also, as far as I know Ford PowerStrokes are the only trucks that use the same type of Donaldson air filtering as Abrams tanks
Parent - By texredneck (**) Date 04-20-2006 06:10
Thanks.
the ones were doing right now are 250's. Weve sent 350 SRW but built as humvee takeoffs. Ill have to forward this to my boss. Does look like a similar picture we recently saw. Thanks!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / chevy or ford diesel