Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / sandblast of Pressure vessel
- - By hogan (****) Date 04-12-2006 20:14
if you sand blast the outside of a pressure vessle, are you required to recertify it?
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 04-12-2006 20:40
I've never heard of that as a requirement.

I'm also not sure "recertify" is the proper concept. It may be that due to the service of the component (ie - lethal service), or the length of time it has been in service, the operating history or the repair history; it may require additional examination to satisfy the operating certificate rules. Based on any of the above, it may be a good idea to do some UT examination to verify that the wall thickness of the vessel is still suitable for service.

The first place to check is with the responsible engineer.

If that doesn't work, the In-Service Inspector from the insuring agency (or the Authorized Inspector representing the construction company) would certainly be able to answer this question.

Charles
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 04-12-2006 20:47
thanks, i'd never heard of that either
Parent - By sfi164 Date 04-13-2006 07:52
If we do an outside sand blast we make an generall inspection and make some UT wall thickness test. If nothing is under a critical point we just paint everything. We think of it as a job everybody will do durign production to keep his pressure vessel fit for future.

If You find some dmage check with Your customer for costs and repair work according R Stamp

SFI
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 04-17-2006 14:28
There are three types of sandblasting: commercial sandblasting, sandblasting to near white metal and sandblasting to white metal. The three are used as surface preparation before painting. The more stringent painting specifications require white metal, less stringent ones require commercial, and the less stringent of all allow cleaning with powered wirebrushes.
If the vessel is new, it's supposed to be painted before being put in operation. If it's supposed to be painted, it's supposed to be sandblasted.
So, to answer your question, if the vessel is new, it does not require to be recertified. If the vessel is an old one, then I agree with Mr. Hall.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil

Parent - By NEQA (**) Date 04-18-2006 14:46
If you are working on an ASME U-stamped vessel, I wouldn't do anything to it without first contacting the local AI.
Parent - - By upranal Date 04-21-2006 09:21
Is sandblasting not banned in many countries on the grounds of environmental consideration? The current practice is to do shotblasting instead of sandblasting.
Parent - - By NEQA (**) Date 04-21-2006 16:55
Can't really say for sure whether sandblasting is banned or not - all I know is that it is a very common practice and we require it in our contract specs. It is done in a confined booth under conrolled conditions.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 04-21-2006 20:09
not banned in the northwest
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / sandblast of Pressure vessel