Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Help with school project please...
- - By osu7 Date 04-12-2006 21:47
Hello all :) I am currently in a codes and standards class at Ohio Sate University. We are suppose to do a project on making our own WPS for a product of our choice. My group and I decided to choose an Iowa class battleship, but focusing on the outside hull welding only. We are allowed to look at actual WPSs for information and the proper numbers and what not. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find a WPS for a Iowa class battleship? I know that the military has seperate books for just their products. We know of the AWS D3.5 but we were hoping for a more precise book on our boat. Any help is appreciated. thank you.
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 04-15-2006 08:02
The last of these ships was completed (I believe) during WW II. The information you seek may have settled pretty deep into the silt by now. New Jersey (BB-62) is berthed in Camden, New Jersey as a museum. There is an association that runs the museum (search google "battleship new jersey") someone there may be able to help, they probably have at least some construction drawings. Similar associations probably exist for the other three ships. A freedom of information request to the government might work (I have no idea how to do that but any journalist probably does). There may be more recent information- New Jersey was refitted and reactivated during the Viet Nam war.

Perhaps a project about submarines would be better. Several of those who post here were involved in construction and maintainance of submarines.
Bill
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-16-2006 13:01
Hello!

Hmmm, Forgive me Bill but I do'nt think anyone's going to offer a WPS that was used in the construction of a still active United States Nuclear powered submarine... I know you did'nt mean any harm in your suggestion to this student but, If I remember correctly, that sort of info is to the best of my knowledge - still classified...

As far as the "boats" (That's right, Submarines are'nt called "ships" by the men that served or built them even though the 2nd letter "S" in "SSN" or "SSBN" stands for "Ship", and the first letter stands for "Sub") that have been decommisioned are concerned, one might be able to find some info about them at a location very near to this student. Please let me explain...

Since this student attends Ohio State University, then there should'nt be a problem for this student to go visit the Edison Welding Institute's Navy Joining Center which is close by and is affiliated with the university indirectly if I'm not mistaken...

I'm sure that they would be more than willing to help the student out with at least some of the info for the "Iowa" class battleships...

Heck, they might even have a database on those ships with the details necessary for this project. Hope this helps!

Respectfully,
SSBN727
Run Silent... Run Deep!!!

P.S. Iowa Class Battleships are just that... They're NOT "KANSAS
type warships (where do you get Kansas from???)... Also, I should point out to the student that the appropriate word to use instead of "boat", is "ship" when applied to a battleship!
Professor Crisi!!! Please stop calling Brazil a "Third world country" because, It is NOT a "Third world country"!!! It's a "Second world country"!!! ;>)
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 04-18-2006 07:51
Surely no intention to invite disclosure of classified info. Your pointer to sources about decommisioned ships is exactly what I had hoped to invoke. As is Dr Crisi's response below.
Bill
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 04-17-2006 15:37
I'm also a University professor of welding. Of course, a third world, underdeveloped university that can not be compared, not even remotely, to O State U, which has given more than one Nobel Prize to Human Kind.
Nevertheless, I'll give you my opinion so you can use it as you wish.
As Bill pointed out, Kansas type warships were made during WW II, so their welding procedure is outdated.
Regarding nuclear submarines, SSBN, who's not only welded, but also sailed on them, says (and he's right) that their welding procedure is a military secret. Being a military secret means that it (the welding procedure) is not a simple one. If it was, it wouldn't need to be that secret.
Let me ask you a question. You're talking about an academical exercise, i.e., one that the students must comply with to get their degree. Here at Mackenzie Presbyterian University we also have that type of exercises. Why making them that difficult? If welding of nuclear submarines is a military secret, useful bibliographycal references must be very very scarce, and putting up a WPS starting from zero shouldn't be easy for university students, even if they are from O State.
My opinion is that you propose to your mates a more common application, one for which bibliographycal references are easy to find at the university library or elsewhere.
Examples: welding of high pressure steam piping in a thermal power plant; welding of a vacuum tower in an oil refinery.
I've got with me the complete welding procedure specification of a urea reactor in a chemical plant. Even the smallest weld has a page specifying every detail of it. I don't remember now the exact number of pages, but they must be about 100 or even more.
If you wish, I can send you a copy, and if you use it in some way I'll feel quite honored, because me, the third world, underdeveloped professor has contributed to the excellency of none less than Ohio State University, the same that has given to the world more than one Nobel Prize.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil

Parent - By RBeldyk (**) Date 04-20-2006 15:13
As I waddled around the web I came upon this treasure trove of information. Though your quest is slightly different, it does provide good information that you may find helpful.
The web page I posted below has weld procedures that were generated for various materials.

http://engstandards.lanl.gov/engrman/13weld/html/13-vol3-wps_archives.htm

You might want to check out the index tab.

Rich
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Help with school project please...