Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / 06 D1.1 Flare Bevel Changes
- - By QualityGuy Date 04-13-2006 17:18
In the 06 D1.1 (2.3.1.4) and Figures (3.3 & 3.4) specifically note (m) allow you to use r=2t for sizing flare groove welds on "rectangular" T.S. sections. Can you assume that this would apply to square HSS as well? The radius of square is the same as rectangular, AISC HSS includes square with rectangular. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 04-13-2006 18:33
I would not assume that they also apply to square HSS. The radius and the workable flats are the same for square and rectangular HSS, and in the previous code, effective weld sizes for flare grooves for square HSS and rectangular HSS were the same. The new code now has specific criteria for rectangular HSS because those sections are formed in a manner that may not result in 90 degree angles, and the changes to Table 2.1 reflect the recent acceptable practice of 2t. Also, notes m and n were added to the notes for figures 3.3 and 3.4 in the new code.
Parent - By QualityGuy Date 04-14-2006 15:06
Thanks for the response SWN, I guess I was hoping that since AISC groups square with rectangular you could include square. But then again if that is what AWS intended they would have probably used the term "box section."
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / 06 D1.1 Flare Bevel Changes