Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding of Dissimilar materials
- - By Herbstpg Date 04-14-2006 02:19
Can any body please give me advise on the following. I need to weld a Lifting Lug onto a Pressure Vesel for dismantling.
The Lifting Lug is made from SA516-70 - Carbon Manganese steel with P Number: P1 G2
The shell of the Vesel is fabricated from SA387-B - .5Ch.5Mo steel with P Number: P3 G2.
My quistion is
Is it posible to weld these two material together and what tipe of welding rod must i use
Also what will be the required Post Weld Heat treatment

Regards
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 04-14-2006 03:21
I believe SA387-B is now SA387 Gr. 12 (1Cr-.5Mo), which is a P-No. 4 Gr. 1. The correct electrode would be E8018-B2 or E7018-B2L. Preheat should be 250 F minimum. Postweld heat treatment is 1200-1300 F.

I'm not sure what you mean by "dismantling". Is this for cutting the vessel apart for disposal or is it for disassembly for periodic inspection/maintenance? If it is the latter, P-No. 4 materials are typically used for elevated temperature service over 750 F, and you need to be aware that carbon steel may not be an appropriate choice for service at that temperature. Graphitization can occur in carbon steels at those temperatures, usually in the weld HAZ first. This could lead to the lifting lug failing when you use it. If this vessel will continue to be used, I hope the appropriate engineering organization has evaluated the lifting lug design and material selection, and that the appropriate ASME or National Board Certificates of Authorization are held by the organization doing the welding.
Parent - By Herbstpg Date 04-14-2006 04:06
Thanks for your reply. I am working for a South African Company.We are busy dismantling a Ammonia plant in South Korea and shipping it to China for re-errection. We are making use of local contractors to do the actual work for us. All the preperation work (fabrication of lugs) was done beforehand and only on my arival here we discover that the local company made a mistake on the Vesel material. Load calculations and design of the lugs was done by a local engineering company and i have no problem with that. Sins there is a 6 week delivery on the correct material i need to know if we make use of the correct welding procedure, can we use the SA516-70 onto the SA387-B
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding of Dissimilar materials