Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / welding of Stainless steel 419 Sheet met
- - By Jagadish Date 04-14-2006 02:48
Hi,
I am building an automatic welding system for welding 35mm dia & 1.6mm wall thickness SS409 pipe to a 16mm dia &1.2mm wall thickness tube.The wire is 0.8mm SS419CB(I was informed by a friend that CB stands for Columbium)
This joint is not exactly circular & needs Torch articulation ,which we have provioded as programble feature.
I tried welding with 20V & 100 Amps using SS 419 Cb wire of 0.8mm dia.The Gas used was Argon 98 % +2% O2.The Flow was 10 LPM.
The electrical stick out was about 10mm.The travel speed is about 300mm /min
The part fit up is slighlty poor leading to gaps upto 0.2-0.5mm in joints & also there is a non repeatabilty of joints. Each time the arc misses the joint , there is a struggle in the MIG self adjusting phenomena.
This leads to a temporary voilence in the arc which cuts the tube instead of welding,
Will somebody enlighten me as to how the part fit up should be/ What welding parameter we should choose Or should I increase the travel speed?What will happen if I use regular steel wire instead of SS wire?
Thanks in Advance
K.Jagadish
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-14-2006 12:34
Hello Jagadish!

You might want to pose your query to someone that could give you some sound advice regarding your situation...
His Name is Ed Craig, and his website is:
http://www.weldreality.com/

Once you have reached the homepage, click the link on the left that reads: "Weld Product Questions"
You can then pose your query to Ed in his "Forum"

If you have any questions regarding his level of expertise, just click on the link that reads: "Who is Ed Craig"

A word of advice, If you cannot provide a drawing of the joint detail, then please do your best to articulate as specifically as possible - the joint in question... This also applies to any other variables involved in your procedure... Hope this helps...

Respectfully,
SSBN727
Run Silent... Run Deep!!!

Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / welding of Stainless steel 419 Sheet met