Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / mil-std-1689
- - By marquality Date 04-14-2006 20:06
Hi All, I'm new to this welding stuff and would like some help with mil-std-1689 if anyone has the knowledge.
Per para 4.8.1 each activity should have a written procedure for workmanshp inspection. Is anyone familiar with this? Could anyone provide a sample?
By the way, we deal with Navy work, no wet welds.

Thank you in advance.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-17-2006 15:16
MIL-STD-1689 dealt with ships structures. The standard was cancelled and replaced with NAVSEA T9074-AD-GIB-010/1688.

Section 4 dealt (MIL-STD-1689) with the qualification of welding procedures, welders, NDT procedures, and NDT personnel. Paragraph 4.8.1 requires the activity, i.e., you if you are welding and/or performing NDT (including VT), to develop a program that describes how the activity (again, you) is going to ensure everyone involved in the manufacturing, fabrication, welding, and inspection of the part or component is aware of the quality requirements, manufacturing methods, and how and when the part or component is giong to be inspected. Essentially, a quality control system, the training / certifications each person is going to receive, a flow chart or traveler showing when and how each part or component is going to be checked, who is responsible to check the part or component, and inspection forms that will serve as objective evidence the checks, tests, and inspections were performed. The report forms must include a signature and date. Depending on the nature of your work, this can be complex or a relatively simple document.

It sounds more complicated than it is. But you do have to sit and develop a system that is workable and addresses all the requirements of the applicable fabrication documents, i.e., 248, 271, 278, 1688, 1689, etc. approprate for the part or component being manufactured. There is no one system that is applicable for every company.

Here is a simplified check list of things to consider:
What training is being provided to the welders and inspectors to assure they know what is required, i.e., workmanship requirements? Do they know how to read drawings, if not how are you going to provide the necessary information? Do they know how to read and use a qualified welding procedure?
Who is trained and qualified to monitor the welding operations? Do you have a procedure describing how and what is to be monitored and what objective evidence will you have that it was performed?
What controls do you have in place for the filler metals?
What "incoming inspections" are performed to assure the proper materials are being supplied? Do they meet the requirements of your purchase order?
Do you have a system to track the visual acuity of the welders and the inspectors?
At what points in the manufacturing process is the part or component going to be inspected or tested?
Are the people performing the inspections or test qualified by education, training, and examination? Are they certified?
Who is responsible to make sure the tests and/or inspections are performed?
Who is responsible to sign off on any inspections or tests?

Check to see if the requirements of MIL-STD-1689 haven't been replaced by the newer document NAVSEA T9074-AD-GIB-010/1688. MIL-STD-1689 was cancelled some time ago. The purchase order issued by your customer may have "standard clauses" that provide more details and should lists all the referenced standards applicable to your "piece of the pie". Also, check the material requirements. Many of the materials produced to meet a military standards may no longer be available. You may have to go back to your customer and request permission to use a material ordered to an ASTM standard. Just because a military standard covering a base metal (for instance) has been cancelled, does not mean you can simply substitute one of the materials listed in the cancellation notice. (Hey, why make it too easy!) Likewise, you can not simply substitute an AWS filler metal for a filler metal manufacturered to a military filler metal specification.

I have developed "systems" for several clients and I act as their Level III for welding and nondestructive testing activities. Each one is unique. The weldments they each provide are different from the other and the controls each has in place are unique to their individual circumstance.

Are you selling direct to the Navy or to a shipyard? Not that it will make a big difference, it is just a matter of who and how many people will be involved when performing a review of your documentation and perform the audit of your facility (if one is required).

Let me know if I can be of any further service.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By - Date 04-18-2006 13:30
Al,
I work for a defense contractor. Our records show that MIL-STD-1689 is still an active document (it is currently at Rev A - issued 23 November 1990) for "Fabrication, Welding, and Inspection of Ships Structure".
NAVSEA Technical Publication T9074-AD-GIB-010/1688, "Requirements for Fabrication, Welding, and Inspection of Submarine Structure" is a separate document, issued 1 May 1997.
Mankenberg
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-18-2006 14:47
Hello Kip;

Again, foot in mouth strikes.

I'm looking at NAVSEA TP1688. The cover letter from the Navy says that NAVSEA TP1688 replaces several MIL-STDs for submarines. No mention of surface ships.

Thanks for the catch.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By marquality Date 04-18-2006 00:44
Thanks Al. This helps a bit. I'm checking to see if the Mil-Std-1689 had been replaced. I am still reading up on all the manuals you've mentioned. I have no actual welding experiencing, just experience from hear says and a few peeks at some welds. I'm trying to go out to the field and checking on things hands on while welding is in progress. I also found a NDT Level III here that's helping me a bit, but he's constantly on jobs.

Thanks again.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / mil-std-1689