Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Multi-pass SMAW weld-Inclusions-PLZ Help
- - By DavidS Date 04-18-2006 03:01
I’v recently been studying for the LA City certification for structural steel with the SMAW process. Im relatively comfortable with the way my beads look but once i cut the plate open where the sample coupon would be taken from i discovered a whole bunch of inclusions. What bugs me is im not to sure what im doing wrong. Iv been looking for info about SMAW online but i havn’t found anything. Does anyone knows of any good books/ online resources that could help me? Or do you have any tips or advice for me?

The plate is a mock up of the test: 1 inch plate with a 45 degree included angle and a 1/4 root opening.
7018 rod (Jetweld Lincoln)
Having problems with both Vertical and Overhead.
Root pass seems fine, Inclusions appear as small cavities in the middle of the weld.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 04-18-2006 05:46
Hello DavidS, usually on this particular type of test you have to pay close attention to the edges of the beads and how they tie into the walls of the plate and other beads. If the root pass goes in and is somewhat bulbous in it's profile you will run the risk of trapping slag along the edges where it ties into the walls, a slight weaving motion (not whipping) will help to avoid this. Setting the correct amperage will also have a lot to do with how well and how smoothly the sides will tie in, try to run as hot as you are able to still maintain control of the puddle. For each layer of beads that you add to the plate pay close attention to bead placement. For instance, if you know that a particular layer will require 3 beads, but you feel that starting from one side and working accross to the other will leave you with a deep V for the last bead to fit into, try putting one bead on one side and then put the second bead on the other side and the third bead up the middle, this will be less likely to trap slag along the edge. Most failures that I see in this case occur because of the condition that I have described. E7018 electrode is not known for it's digging arc thus it will tend to bridge across narrow deep conditions in a weld joint and deposit slag instead of weld metal in them. I hadn't mentioned fit-up before, when you set up the plates you need to pay attention to carefully grinding and fitting the plate components together, no mill scale, rust, maintain a knife edge on the bevelled edges, and a good tight fit to the backing plate, set the 1/4" opening accurately and evenly top to bottom. Watch your arc length closely, don't long arc E7018, you can end up with porosity as a result of long-arcing. Use fresh rods out of a new container or rods that have been properly held in a rod oven, moisture can cause small pin holes to be left in the weld metal due to trapped hydrogen gases that can't make it to the weld surface before the metal has cooled. If you are restarting welds with used electrodes pay attention to the ends, if they are lacking an excessive amount of flux covering don't use them. I'm sure there will be other suggestions for making improvements for you, try them and see how things turn out. Good luck and Regards, aevald
Parent - By medicinehawk (**) Date 04-18-2006 21:41
What Aevald wrote is certainly sound advice, I might add that if you hold the edges longer (pausing & try counting 1-2-3) could help you to eliminate slag inclusions. If you can, use a .040 or 1/16" in the areas that have visible deposits of slag on the edges, then use a 1/4" grinding disc to flatten out the weld and to give you an even surface for successive passes.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Multi-pass SMAW weld-Inclusions-PLZ Help