Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hood Bibs
- - By K.N.94PSD Date 04-19-2006 07:34
I've been doing alot of high amp welding lately, and I'm trying to reduce the arc ray reflection inside my hood (Jackson NexGen). It seems like a helmet bib should keep alot of the rays from reflecting off my jacket and into my helmet. I was wondering if anyone has a preference on a brand, or a way to make one that's better than what's currently on the market.

Thanks,
K.N.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-19-2006 10:42
KN,
I have just cut the cuff off of some old leather welding gloves and attached it along the lower edge of my shield. We use around 400-450 amps 28-30 volts with the wire we run, so it also helps keep that little triangle from burning on my neck when my top button on my shirt is not buttoned at my collar.
John Wright
Parent - - By jarsanb (***) Date 04-19-2006 11:47
Same here. I cut a length off of an old leather apron and rivited it in place. A much better fit and tight coverage over ones I have purchased. Now when I lift the hood I can see where I am going.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 04-19-2006 14:45
That is what I do - rivet some scrap leather to the bottom of the hood. For hoods that "wrap under the chin" I cut away some of the bottom so the hood doesn't hit my collarbone when I nod the hood down- then I install the leather. (I don't use auto-darkening lenses; I think they cost too much for what little welding I do these days. If I welded more, then it would be a different story.)
Chet
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-19-2006 15:26
Chet for all day regular ole continuous fillet or groove welds, I don't see any advantage to having the auto-darkening feature on my shield. Where it really comes in great for me is when I weld intermittant stitch welds (3 every 12 etc. like welding on pour stop) I can weld along and get to the end of my line and break the arc, the shield will flash back to a lighter state and I can see where the next weld is to start and go again without ever nodding the shield up and down for each weld.
John Wright
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 04-19-2006 20:41
Personally, I prefer to use the Bug-O stitch welder for that, when it will fit the application - but I know what you mean. I have tried the automatic lenses out. As I said, I don't weld much these days.
My standing comment to our welding supply salesman is that I'll buy an auto-darkening shield when his price comes down to $20 or less. I figure if calculators can be had for $1, then the shields will come down in price too (although I may be retired or long gone by that time.)

Chet
Parent - By MBlaha (***) Date 04-20-2006 10:55
Chet:

I am kinda like you. The only reason I have an electronic is because the welding supplier gave me one to try out when I was teaching trying to promote them LOL. I see all these guys with these expensive hoods, but the thing is, these expensive hoods do not make the welds look any better. My favorite hood is still my 20 year old Jackson Tiger hood with a flip up. I have welded a great many boiler tubes with this hood and it has never let me down LOL.
I have an old bib pop riveted to the bottom of it to protect my neck also.

Mike
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Hood Bibs