Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Spot Welding Qualification requirements
- - By arcvoice (*) Date 04-19-2006 16:53
Does AWS have a section that deals with qualification for spot welding. I have D17.1 which I haven't seen anything there..
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 04-19-2006 20:39
arcvoice ,love this forum it made me think . your d17 is for aerospace applications . d1.1 deals with structural ? are you building a space station ? but in my thinking i went back to
when we set up our familys roll former line and found old d1.3-89 it deals with sheet steel and has all of the type information that you probably need . you should get a newer edition d1.3-98 is most current listed in aws 2006 publications catalogue . d1.3deals with with thickness 0.18 or less and min. yield no greater than 80 ksi . d1.1 deals usually with 1/8 in. plus and no greater than 100 ksi yield .i don't know what d17 is don't have that one . there is also resistance welding but others will know more than me . let me know what you find out . willie
Parent - - By lawrence vinoth Date 04-21-2006 10:43
Sir i have a job of spot welding. and i am a new welding trainee
i want a sample WPS for spot welding
please help me
Parent - By arcvoice (*) Date 04-21-2006 16:57
You can set-up a rsw procedure by testing,, Also some of the equipment manufacturers have set-up data to produce correct size spot welds,, I am looking for general rules which groven spot welding.. Per AWS code..
Parent - By webbcity (***) Date 04-24-2006 05:20
lawrence , the d1.3-89 that i have has sample (pqr) ,(wps) and welder/welder operator forms . You should get a newer version of this . d1.3-98 is the most current listed in aws 2006 catalog . you should be able to get that from your local aws section . then have your qc manager have it developed to your use . ? where are you at ? good luck . willie
Parent - - By arcvoice (*) Date 04-21-2006 12:43
willie,

we are in the aerospace business yet we spot weld ss boxes together.the company is asking me to put together a spec for spot welding.. I did find a mil spec that will serve my purpose W-6858 if you are interested.. Thanks for the help..
Parent - By jarsanb (***) Date 04-21-2006 14:32
The equipment manufacture of the RSW equipment will provide you with all of the info you need. I've had to create these in the past and the manuals provided give all the important settings. Then you need to destructive test to your standards and if you have a lab to analyze - great. These were especially useful when RSW of stainless and aluminum.
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 04-24-2006 05:28
arcvoice , thanks for reply . i will see if i can find that mil. spec. don't work with thin metals much now but never know what is happening next . where are you ? good luck . willie
Parent - By arcvoice (*) Date 05-01-2006 13:43
I'm near syracuse NY
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Spot Welding Qualification requirements