Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Aluminum Spool Gun for snap on 140
- - By Humvee67 (*) Date 04-21-2006 02:26
Does anyone know if a different brand spool gun will work on a MM140. It's equipped to take one, but Snap-On wants $1200 while a Miller 3035 Spoolmate is $550.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-21-2006 03:30
Hello Humvee67, the first thing that you might look into is the manufacturers tag on the welding machine that you have, even though it is a Snap-on machine, it is likely that it was built by Miller, Lincoln, Hobart, Esab, or someone else. There is likely someone out there who knows specifically who builds Snap-on's machines for them. In any case what usually counts is the type of voltage that is required to operate the drive motor in the spool gun and the type of switching that is provided by the gun to activate the output of the welding machine to provide the welding power when the trigger is depressed on the spool gun. On most of the spool guns the gas is actually controlled by a manual valve within the spool gun so that isn't an issue. Oddly enough I have a Thermal Arc multi-process inverter that I plug a Miller 30A spool gun into and it is a direct connection and operates perfectly. So you are probably on the right track thinking that a less expensive spool gun can be had that will work with the Snap-on machine. Good luck and Regards, aevald
Parent - - By Humvee67 (*) Date 04-21-2006 03:52
Thanks for the fast reply. I'll look into it at the shop. I know Snap-On guy wont tell me theres a cheaper way. It's spoolgun ready and it's 140 amp welder with what looks like a common style connector. I'll get more info on it, I have the manual.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-21-2006 05:33
Hello again Humvee67, I had one other thought concerning the machine manufacturer, if it is built in Appleton, Wis. then it is likely to be a Miller type, if it is built in Troy, Ohio it might very well be a Hobart machine, off the top of my head I can't remember where Lincoln is manufactured. Good luck on your quest. Regards, aevald
Parent - - By Humvee67 (*) Date 04-21-2006 11:42
Pretty sure it isnt any of the three. I think it was a 2 part name."____&____". I'm just hoping that there is a compatable attaching unit. I'll Post on it later Today.
Parent - - By Humvee67 (*) Date 04-21-2006 17:03
OK, ck systematics makes it. I have found a duplicate spool gun as snap-on and called them. HTP America sells all I need for $595 w/25' cable and control box. They are near Chicago. I love research.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 04-21-2006 17:15
Hi Humvee67, great to hear that you were able to find something more reasonably priced and yes, sometimes it helps to dig a little deeper. By the way, CK systematics makes some pretty decent hardware, in my own opinion. Regards, aevald
Parent - By leon phelps (**) Date 05-22-2006 16:47
Now you know why to stay away from Snap off. They do not make lots of their tools and their driver/salesmen frequently misinform buyers about products so they become repeat customers. There is nothing wrong with paying the snap off guy a little more for the financing and delivery of the products, but the other crap has turned me off to them.
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 05-14-2006 04:50
I have a Snap on mig my self it was built by Century!
Parent - By Humvee67 (*) Date 05-22-2006 22:40
It's a real good welder, especialy for production work. Now a friend of mine is giving me a small Century welder, like 80 amp. It has a tweco gun. I never used Century before, but I sure seen alot of them around and on eBay.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Aluminum Spool Gun for snap on 140