Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / position of X-ray source and film in RT
- - By upranal Date 04-21-2006 09:07
Is there any website which depicts the correct/optimum relative position of placement of X-ray source and X-ray film during RT examination of site welds of pipes (pipe sizes ranging from 1/2" to say 24") in hydrocarbon service?
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 04-21-2006 10:19
Upranal,
There are more experienced people than me that may be able to point you to a relevant website but I will try and give you a basic explanation.
I will not try and explain the "stand off" eliptical technique for 1/2"up to 2"and sometimes 3" as this is a little bit more involved.
I will use a 4" pipe butt weld as an example.
Code requirements will determine the number of shots required.
If we look at the most common scenario we will have 3 shots per butt.
Mark 0 at 12 oçlock on the top of the pipe.
Mark 1 at approx 4 oçlock.
Mark 2 at approx 8 oçlock.
First shot will have the film equally overlapping the area from 0 - 1 with source placed at 2.
Second shot will have the film equally overlapping 1 - 2 with source placed at 0.
Third shot will have the film equally overlapping 2 - 0 with source placed at 1.
The easiest way to work out placement of film and source is to take the circumference of the pipe and divide by the number of shots required.
Hope that helps,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By upranal Date 04-27-2006 05:10
Shane,

Thanks for your lucid explanation.

Regards,

upranal
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 04-21-2006 12:46
The ASME BPVC Section 5 has some good sketches of film placement and source position for pipe welds.

FYI-Kodak makes a nice RT training handbook available free on-line in .pdf format: "Radiography in Modern Industry"...(an oldie but a goodie) - although not much on pipe welds, has good info.
Parent - By cwihopeful Date 04-28-2006 16:18
It would depend on the customers requirements really. There are several different positions for the source to be in (elliptical, superimposed). The film optimally will always be against the weld on the opposite side from the source. Would need more info as to the type of shots you are trying to make to give you a better idea of the set-ups.

Scott
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / position of X-ray source and film in RT