Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ER 71-M
- - By cuco (*) Date 04-22-2006 04:20
HELLO EVERYONE.

ER 71-M

I WORK FOR A HEAVE EQUITMENT CO. JHONSON MASHINERY.
AND AT WORK I LIKE TO WEAVE TO GET THE STACKED DIME LOOK IN MY WELD BEADS. IT ALLSO LOOKS BETTER.
IM TOLD THAT THIS IS A BAD HABIT AND THAT DOING SO WEAKENS THE WELD METAL. AND HAS A HIGHER POTENTIAL FOR CRAKING. AND THAT I SHUOLD USE THE DRAG TECHNIC.
I DONT SEE HOW WEEVING WOULD WEAKEN ANYTHING. I THINK THAT WEAVING OR DRAGING IS ONLY A MATER OF PREFRANCE.

DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHAT THE PROPER TECHNIC.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 04-22-2006 05:01
Hello cuco, traditionally the type of wire you are describing is designed to be dragged or pushed depending on whether you are looking for a flatter profile in the weld or if a more crowned bead profile is desired. When you have a groove that you are trying to fill and you would like to do so more quickly, a drag technique might be employed, this will also promote better penetration and help to prevent slag from rolling out in front of the puddle and possibly being trapped in the process of making the weld. The push technique might be employed on thinner materials to minimize burn through and some folks also preferr this because of the flatter weld profile. As far as the weaving goes, if it is weaving and not whipping you may get away with it other than it may promote stress risers in the weld which could lead to cracking, an actual whipping motion will likely cause problems with puddle contamination. Hope this helps some. Regards, aevald
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ER 71-M