Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Spool change on Miller 251
- - By bill4d (*) Date 04-23-2006 01:16
I've got a basic question on the Miller 251. How do I take out the current spool of wire that is in the welder? Do you just have to cut the wire by the drive rollers and sacrifice the wire that's already in the cable?

Thanks.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-23-2006 02:09
Hello bill4d, generally that is what people will do when they change the spools of wire. If you are really trying to conserve on the wire you could snip the wire at the contact tip so that it would slide through the liner easily, release the tension on the drive rolls and roll the wire back up onto the spool being very careful not to let go of it as it clears the liner and drive rolls. Most do not generally worry about sacrificing the wire in the liner. Regards, aevald
Parent - - By bill4d (*) Date 04-24-2006 15:52
Thanks for your prompt reply. I just had a small ball of wire at the contact tip preventing it from winding back onto the spool. (rookie mistake)

Thanks again for your great advice you gave me recently on some aluminum tips. This was my first welding project ever and, while the welds may not win any awards, it did not come out too bad!
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 04-24-2006 16:59
Hello again bill4d, glad to hear that I could be of some help. Have a good day, Regards, aevald
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Spool change on Miller 251