Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Searching for Large Fabrication Shop
- - By jerryhoush Date 04-23-2006 13:56
I am a member of the purchasing department for a major manufacturer located in North Central Florida. We fabricated, machined, assembled, painted and tested our product in-house from 1973 until 2003. Customer order requirements grew to the point that we decided to outsource ALL of our fabricating and machining requirements in order to refocus all of our resources on the assembly and testing side. From 1987 until 2003 I was a Senior Machinist responsible for the machine work on these parts. I moved into the Purchasing department, along with my partner - a welder of 30 years with the company, to lend our expertise in the manufacturing side of the product to facilitate the transition from manufacturing to outsourcing.

At this point we have over 10 suppliers trying to keep up with our demand for the large components and 15 additional suppliers for small parts. We are bugeted to build 125 of these completed units this year, meaning 125 of each component. These companies have been working between 56 and 72 hours per week for over 2 years due to our not being able to identify additional sources. We MUST get additional suppliers onboard before we simply wear these people out. They need a break and we need additional suppliers. We are NOT looking to replace any of them, but to bring additional suppliers onboard.

We believe that we have virtually exhausted the resources in the state of Florida, but we may be wrong there. We would prefer to locate facilities in Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Alabama, Tennessee, or Kentucky. This is due solely to the size of the components required. However, We do currently have one supplier in Michigan who has found a way to be competitive even with the shipping issues. So we are open to pretty much anywhere, but the closer to Florida the better for all.

We are currently seeking out large fabricating (welding) shops to produce some of our larger fabrications. These weldments weigh between 10,000 and 55,000 pounds.Any potential shop must have at least 2 five ton overhead cranes and all of their welders must hold current certifications equal to of AWS D1.1, minimum. It would be very beneficial if they have Pipe Bending and some Machining capabilities, as well as finish painting facilities.

If you know of any shops that meet these requirements please drop me an email at jerry.housh@yahoo.com with as much contact information as you may have. If you have any questions you may reach me at 352-317-0092. Please check my home page, http://www.jerryhoush.com , to see photos of our facility and examples of the large fab parts we are seeking sources for. Thanks.

Jerry Housh
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 04-24-2006 14:49
jerry , question do you just fab those drill bases or complete the entire rigs ? i didn't see a rail line in your aerial photo . nice work just wish we were closer . willie
Parent - By jerryhoush Date 04-24-2006 22:54
Willie,

I am not clear on the question. We used to build the entire drill rigs at this facility, From raw material to finished product. These are Surface Mining Blast Hole Drill Rigs. They actually drill a hole 3" - 15" in diameter 40' - ???' deep. Then they drive the drill off the hole, drop in the explosives and THAR SHE BLOWS! It blows the minerals over into the pit where they pick up the diamonds, gold, copper, etc...

I did receive one phone call today from a gentleman in New Jersey but I have not received his email. If you have already sent it please go ahead and send it to jerryfr40@yahoo.com because I did not receive it. Thanks.

Jerry
Parent - - By vonash (**) Date 04-26-2006 00:39
Maybe you should stick it out and not ouit in your job. Find ways to be more prouctive, and grin. Stick in there and dig in deep; you do not know the wonder that will come to you with just a few fiesty testicles.
Sincerely!
Vonash
Parent - - By jerryhoush Date 04-26-2006 08:54
???????????
Parent - - By BamaDave (**) Date 04-27-2006 00:24
Don’t pay any attention to vonash, as he can’t help but talk in riddles!

Times are very trying these days and the Refinery industry is booming across the globe. I really don’t see things changing for upwards of a decade. Quality vendors are getting really backed up. The upward industrial momentum has just begun, at least here where I’m located.

Here are several manufactures that are somewhat local to you that could handle almost anything.

Have you tried Qualico Steel in Dothan, AL?
http://www.qualicosteel.com/

What about Mitternight Boiler works in Satsuma, AL?
http://www.mitternight.com/

Good luck with your business!

David

EDIT:
I need for everyone to understand, I don’t work for either of the companies and not in any way commissioned to them. I have just worked in there shops over the years and no there capabilities when it comes to sizeable projects.

David
Parent - - By BamaDave (**) Date 05-12-2006 03:21
Jerry,
What happened here, update?

David
Parent - By jerryhoush Date 05-19-2006 10:20
To be honest things around the shop have been absolutely crazy and I never received a notification of this reply to my posting. I just stopped by this morning to see if there had been any new responses and found this information. I have just completed an initial contact email to both of the companies you listed and sent them out via Email. Hopefully I will hear back from them soon. I will update you when/if I do.

I would like to expand the scope of the shops that I am looking for now because I am really beginning to get into trouble on my small parts suppliers as well. In the past week I have sent out over 200 new parts for quoting to my regular supplier base and I am simply not getting quotes back. They are all packed. I have 15 suppliers that I use for these small parts currently and I need a minimum of 2 more.

We have over 30,000 part numbers, which go into our rigs. I am responsible for app. 10,000 of those. They range from a part, which will fit in the palm of your hand to parts that you will fit into.

These facilities would have to have both fabricating and machining capabilities. No overhead crane requirements. My perfect shop would be one with:

Minimum of $1 million in gross annual sales (I am restricted to being no more than 20% of a suppliers business)
10+ certified welders AWS D1.1
Multiple welding stations
Shape making capabilities (Oxy,Laser, and/or Waterjet) plate sizes 16 gage - 6" thick
Plate bending
Iron Working machine
Large Radial Drill Press (not that important)
CNC Mills
Large CNC Horizontal mill (This would be a tremendous plus with min 47" on X, 44" on Y, potential for gear box product line)
CNC lathes (large and small)
Manual drills
Manual mills
Manual lathes

App. workforce of 30-40 shop floor personnel
Located in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, North Carolina, in that order preferred but will consider elsewhere. (Shipping charges would become a big issue on these smaller parts) All parts quoted FOB Alachua, Fl. If I have a quote from a company in Lakeland, Fl and one from Memphis, TN and both are the same but the Lakeland shop has shipping included and the Memphis shop does not it would not be fair to compare the quotes. The TN shop would have a hidden charge to cover shipping. So all pricing must include shipping.

This is a lot of information I realize, I am not restricted to this size shop but it is in my best interest to locate 2 shops at least this size that has a lot of capacity available. If you have a lead on a shop, which fits this description, please contact me at jerry.housh@yahoo.com or phone me at 352-317-00962. Thanks!

Best Regards,
Jerry Housh
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 05-19-2006 13:44
Jerry,

check out Bristol Metals in Bristol TN. I did a vendor surrveillance of their shop late last year, for a big job they were doing for us, and I was very impressed.  They meet and exceed all the requirements you listed in your posting.  Look at brismet.com  They specialize in manufacturing S.S pipe but they do much more.

Hope that helps

Jim Hughes
Parent - By jerryhoush Date 05-19-2006 15:34
Jim,

Thanks for the lead. I did contact them a few minutes ago but they do not work with carbon steel parts. All of the parts which we need are made from run of the mill A36, A513, etc..

But please keep the info coming. I do not mind chasing down 100 leads if it gets me the 2 shops that I actually need.

Jerry Housh
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Searching for Large Fabrication Shop