Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / X-ray questions
- - By Brainfarth (*) Date 04-23-2006 17:08
I have a coupon of 1 1/2" thick 316 stainless. I want to see if a friend from a radiology dept of a hospital could take a picture for me. But I don't know if their equipment is capable of taking these kinds of pictures. Does anyone know if this is possilble? And what can I tell them to assist in the setup of the machine?

-Mike
Parent - - By BamaDave (**) Date 04-23-2006 19:09

It is possible if he can adjust the exposure time and obviously the density between aluminum and human tissue is very different. I would say it’s worth a chance, especially if he can adjust the amperage and voltage upward. More than likely he won’t be able to make any major adjustments, but you could attempt at taking numerous exposures at the highest level that his equipment produce. If this were thin aluminum I would say absolutely he can, but based on the thickness its hard to say. Obviously this will be a info-only type of examination even of he is able to generate an image of adequate density as I’m sure you won’t have any IQIs to verify the sensitivity.

Your best bet it to contact a NDE lab and they could shoot it for $100-200 and provide a report reviewing it against the applicable referencing code.

David
Parent - - By spatterbrain (*) Date 04-24-2006 05:18
The X-Ray machine in the hospital probably doesn't have the ampererage, voltage or the duty cycle to shoot a coupon that thick. Dave's right. Just contact a local NDE shop and have them shoot it.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 04-24-2006 14:12
most likely no lead screens either
Parent - - By Brainfarth (*) Date 05-05-2006 01:44
Today we had the x-ray tech at work setting up to picture the S.S. crucible I welded. The specs of the Crucible are as follows: 5' diameter, 6' tall, 316 S.S. , 1 1/2" thick, the head was cast somewhere in northern California and the sheet was rolled at Keiser Sheet Metal in Oregon. Keiser also cut and rolled the flange, on edge measuring 2" x 6" at a diameter of approx 62" inside. They cut two strips and welded them together after they were rolled. The working temp is 1580 f at 3psi. I used 316 S.S. flux core wire and have used approx 130 lbs. S.S. flux core runs pretty nice but you can't let the puddle get away from you or you'll roll over your slag, especially in a groove, so I have found that faster travel speeds to be the best approach.
But as for the X-ray photos from the hospital, they didn't pan out too well. From what the x-ray tech at work said, the approx exposure time is around 30 mins depending on distance while the hospital machines run in fractions of seconds. He said it could be possible to trigger the equivalent amount of time but that would be very hard on the machine.

-Mike
Parent - By Brainfarth (*) Date 05-29-2006 21:23
  I found out that it wasn't keiser that rolled the shell.  I think it was ky-ro of Oregon.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / X-ray questions