Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / What TYPE of Welding maching do I need ?
- - By 75yrddragbucket Date 04-30-2006 09:09
To repair rust damage on an 81 VW Rabbit's sheetmetal ??

Here's pics of the area I want to repair. BTW, I have access to a donor car for the replacement metal.

http://s95371106.onlinehome.us/pics/Rust/RabbitRustDamage/
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 05-02-2006 08:31
I haven't seen the other car but it might be easier to transfer the mechanical parts from this car to it.
Bill
Parent - By bh48272 Date 05-05-2006 19:19
If there is actually any sheetmetal under the rust, you might try mig. If you want a wire that is alright at getting through rust, then try flux cored wire. You still have to take off most of the rust, but it is good at getting through a little bit of dirt or rust.
Parent - By USUagez Date 05-06-2006 02:23
I would try to replace the parts, before I tried to weld on them. If you can't replace them then I would clean them up as best as you can, and try the mig.
Parent - By cryogenicshaun (**) Date 06-08-2006 00:05
Make sure you have thick enough metal after you remove some of the rust. If its paper thin watch your temperature when using the mig or youll do more damage than good if you burn through.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / What TYPE of Welding maching do I need ?