Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Cheap Migs VS. Expensive Migs
- - By shakeysparks Date 01-04-2001 19:51
I'm no where near pro and just weld occassionally. I'm in the market for a Mig welder for my home use.
I was ready to buy the Miller 130 XP, but I saw bunch of other migs such as Astro Pnuematic,
Revco, Daytona Mig, Centry, Schumaker, and such for whole lot cheaper. My questions are....

What am I losing by buying these cheaper Migs?
Are there anyone who has any experiences with these machines?
Should I stay away from certain ones?

Thanks in advance.

PS. I can't spell.
Parent - By Mike Brace (**) Date 01-09-2001 13:30
You are getting a cheaper wire drive system and this is the heart of the system, if the wire does not feed properly it will not weld porperly. The Miller machine has more iron in in which will give it a better arc. This means that on the lower end it will be eayser to get a nice looking weld and on the high end it will have more power for thicker material. Also the Miller machine will give you full output on a 25 amp breaker most of the others will need 30 amps. Miller has a 3 year parts and labor warrenty.
Parent - By B.B.Welding. Date 01-10-2001 23:33
You wont go wrong if you spend the extra money for the Miller, I have tried alot of the other machines you mentioned and none can touch the Miller as far as performance, dependability, and durability. the Miller comes out on top, and as mike said in another response, miller has a great warranty, which you probably wont use.
Parent - By waynebo Date 01-30-2001 02:13
you need to take a look @ the hobart line.their made in the miller plant side by side and the cost is about 150.00 less than a miller.check www.cyberweld.com i think the 135 goes for 379.00 and the 175 handler goes for 499.00
Parent - By sp09206 Date 02-23-2001 21:57
I have looked at a lot of small shop type of mig welders and for my money two come to mind the Lincoln SP125 which can be plugged into a 110V outlet or the Lincolin 175, requires 230V. Both are exceptional small machines that are made to last. Don't let the small SP 125 scare you off it can handle .250 thick material very nicely, just go slow.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Cheap Migs VS. Expensive Migs