Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Old Stick welder problem
- - By dougkendig Date 05-17-2006 04:21
Hi guys...

My Father-in-law just brung me a beat up old Lincoln 180 stick welder with a 20% duty cycle... i hooked it into the 220 in the garage and it welded fine for about 2 minutes and quit.... now I get no hum, no juice at the stick...no nothin.....    I don't think it's the duty cycle ..cause I waited an hour now and still nothing....  I checked fuses and stuck a meter to the curcuit and it's full current to the power cord.... but the dang thang wont spark a lick.....   I was running it at 100 amps and welding a lawnmower blade when it happened..... it just quit....       y'all figger  I fried his lil welder?   Is there any way I can check it to know for sure?   (Besides turning it on and 'splainin it to him "...it don't work no mo" that is...?)   I'd at least like to be able to tell him what went wrong.....   should I pull the cover and check the transformer?
...I'm guessing this thing has no internal fuse or circuit breaker....   (and "NO" I didn't torque the amperage while welding)   ....but, i am baffled....    is like it just gave up the ghost.....
Thanks fellas....any clue would be helpful
-Doug
Parent - - By Doug Hodgson Date 01-07-2007 14:05
open her up there is nothing misterios inside make shure you have contenuety througcord unplug frome wall  turn on welder switch test blade to blade on cord thenone blade to taansformer  in then out ods are you have dirty switch just clean it dont buy unless you just have to much money  sory i dont know how to use spell check !
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 01-07-2007 18:01
That's funny!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Old Stick welder problem