Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Recognizing aluminum vs. magnesium or pot metal
- - By aevald (*****) Date 07-25-2006 16:06
Hello All, I replied to another post in another section and it reminded me of this bit of information. One of the other fellows posted a method for checking for magnesium, he said to file shavings from the part, put them into a pile and apply an oxy-acetylene flame to them, if they sparked and burned the material was likely magnesium. The method that I typically use requires silver nitrate, you apply a drop of this solution to the part to be tested, if the droplet turns the material black it is likely magnesium, if the droplet stays clear it is probably aluminum. One variation to this would be the possibility that the material is pot metal, it can also turn black when silver nitrate is applied, the pot metal part would be considerably heavier than the magnesium piece and will help to differentiate between pot metal and magnesium. Regards, aevald
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 07-25-2006 18:15
copper sulfat can be used the same way for  distinguishing cs and ss, with silver and gold colors  
Parent - - By jerrykroll (**) Date 07-27-2006 14:32
A drop of battery acid on magnesium will turn black, bubble / fume. On aluminum it will stay clear.
Works best on a clean surface (sand or scrape).
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-18-2007 09:41
I have always used the file and burn the filings method..a bic lighter will do the trick...if it looks like  the brite sparks of a sparkler firework  its magnesium.

many moons ago

I learned about it by trying to weld a magnesium bell housing once with a 4043 rod.....lol after my bead disentegrated before my eyes and fell out...A kind welder showed me the error of my ways and how to tell the difference...after a good laugh of course!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Recognizing aluminum vs. magnesium or pot metal