Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Info needed for an old Trindle welder
- - By dawgo1 Date 01-15-2001 05:57
I recently inhereted an old Trindle Industrial welder, I would like to restore it but have had no luck finding information about it. It is in good working order and welds fine, but the face plate where the leads plug in has deteriorated and there are no markings on the lead ports so you know what amperage you are running. The face plate has twelve ports, six each side arranged in a hexagon pattern divided by the on off switch and Trindle name plate. This is a 160 amp output welder with a 25 amp input per the name plate, the deminsions are approx 3'h x 2'w x 1't, the outter shell is painted red and looks to be original. Please send any information to me at Dawgo1@aol.com ,I would greatly appreciate it.
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 02-06-2001 15:19
I restored an old Trindle and found a Miller Electric Mfg welding service distributor very helpful. Miller has a real detailed parts catalogue. On page 8 of their 2000 parts guide is jack plug & receptacle parts Miller uses on their welding machines. It took a little sheet metal work but I was able to use their jack plugs and receptacles replacing all of the originals. I used the black, red, yellow, and white colored receptacles and set it up to show the stages of heat. Black to Black the coldest, Red to Red the second hottest, then Yellow to Yellow and finally the hottest, white to white. I notice that the catalogue that Miller doesn't show the white receptacles but your distributor may have them as a service repair item.
If you want to know what the amperage output is for each possible connection, the service distrubutor may for a small fee test your machine. They test all sorts of welding machines on a special machine called a "Load Bank". With this machine it will tell you what amperage and voltage is at each connection. Just write the values down and laminate with plastic and you have a good and handy guide.
You can hook up black to white, red to yellow, red to black as I did to get a variety of heat settings. Just remember one connection is to the electrode cable and holder and the other completes the circuit to the ground (work)clamp and cable. You can mix and match to get pretty much the control you want.
Hope this helps.
I have two more machines to rebuild like this one. One is a General Electric bought in 1947 or 48 according to the original owner. And the other is a P&H. Got them real cheap at an auction!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Info needed for an old Trindle welder