Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Don't have a drill and need a round hole
- - By aevald (*****) Date 07-31-2006 05:32
I have run into instances when I have needed a round hole to do some bolting on non-critical applications (I stress non-critical). If you run into a situation where you need a round hole for a bolting purpose or something similar and you don't have a drill and bits readily available, but you do have an oxy-fuel torch, a center punch, line up punch, or some other tapered type tool, and a hammer, you can go ahead and pierce a hole with the torch that is slightly smaller than the one you require and then while it is still hot drive the tapered tool into the hole rounding it out to the proper size. Hope this explanation made sense and can help some of you out there. Regards, aevald
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 01-23-2008 06:27
aevald , i have been doing this from time to time thru the years , but much more since you posted it . thanks for the reminder and thank you for all the nice things that you do on the forum . good luck . willie
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 01-23-2008 07:23
aevald, I guess we're all Modern Blacksmiths right? One method I use that works really slick to get that hole as round as possible is, after laying out the hole location, say a 1/2" hole, lay a 1/2" washer on top as a guide for the torch. Most washers are punched and if you keep the "sharp edge" down, the rounded side up, seems to help deflect the torch's cutting jet from gouging the washer. Keep the washer cool and can usually get several holes before a slip up ruins it. On heavy plate, pierce a starter hole prior to placing the washer.
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 01-23-2008 09:17
john , i still do that a lot it works good but as allen said with the big drift and it's hot just takes a big hammer and rounds out nicely . just after he had posted that we were setting up a 70' truck scale that my brother bougth at an auction , had to do a lot of metal repairs on it . we found out why they sold it , they had put on a new steel deck plate top and had warped it so it would never certify . long welds and bracing under the plates , long seam welds and had actually welded bracing in the adjustment area it was warped about 10" in each 35"section we cut off the braces at the section adjustment and set up our track torch and split them ,like magic they leveled out , and was easy to certify . put guard rails on to meet MSHA specs., lots of holes to burn and round out . i wanted to post on here then but too busy . we hauled 30,000 tons over it 2 years ago . we moved it last year re-setup certified it and hauled about 65,000 ton across .i may move it again this year but to early to know now . we also have 2 other truck scales . good luck . willie 
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 01-23-2008 23:07
webbcity, I hadn't seen the washer trick posted so thought I'd bring it up. The old trusty "Gas Axe" appears to be a dying art. From what I've seen in the past few years, most fitters and welders hole burning technique leaves a lot to be desired. They would need a really Big Hammer and the result would look more like the hole was made with an armour piercing round! Even back when I was free-hand beveling pipe, my home made blind flanges and the like were still a bit ragged with out the washer burning guide. Good luck on scales (must have bought them cheap since they were "uncertifiable"), sounds like a fun and profitable venture. john
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-23-2008 15:46
Hello Willie, haven't heard a lot from you lately, likely busy I would say. I also look forward to hearing of the many suggestions and the information that you have for everyone. Still learning more and more everyday. I just keep hoping that my learning curve exceeds my memory loss curve. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Root Pass (***) Date 02-03-2008 21:06
I like to use a set of Miluwalkee hole saws to "mark" the hole I need to cut out. I was re-doing the undercarriage on a link belt track hoe( 14 rollers X 4 =5/8" bolts was a lot of hole cutting). After laying out the holes and center punching them I set the pilot bit shallow (1/4") on the 1/2" size hole saw and drilled untill the hole saw cut into the metal about a 1/16". Perfect round mark that the torch wouldn't blow away and the pilot hole was a good place to start cutting. Worked even better if I took the time to drill the pilot all the way through the 1"X4" members.
Parent - By JMCInc (**) Date 02-04-2008 06:16
The washer trick was one I hadn't thought of. In some instances I will draw the hole with soapstone or the like then follow the circle with a small center punch every 1/16th to 1/8th inch depending on hole size. Hold the torch and your mouth just right and you'll have a respectable hole.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Don't have a drill and need a round hole