Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Ruled Drilling Guide
- - By yorkiepap (***) Date 08-28-2006 23:57
This is a simple drilling guide setup I designed for our company to increase production and reduce manhours measuring & marking. This is my setup on my workbench at home used for smaller projects and I have a larger one in my machine shop downstairs. I used 1"X1.5" angle aluminum, 19"L on the small D/press, & 4'L (24" on each side of drill) angles on the large D/press. This setup is for drilling multiple holes at specified distances. The alum. angles are set for the width of material, and can be positioned so perfectly aligned holes can be drilled anywhere on the width of the material for the full length. I can drill up to 4"W material on the small D/press and up to 10"W on the large D/press. I use Starrett adhesive metallic ruler tape that is graduated in both left and right directions. After the angles are mounted, I use a small pointed rod in the chuck and a square to set the centerline. Then attach the directional tape. Once the first hole is located and drilled, then each subsequent hole will be the distance selected on the tape by aligning the first hole center on the rule mark. The material at work is 1.5"W X .087 x 108"L with holes at 12" spacing. Since I have several hundred to drill prior to welding, I align the end to have the first hole drilled and C-clamp 4 together so I can drill 4 at a time. Really saves time. Our other 5 D/presses at work have been similarly set up this way and several have a fixed-location stop attached to the angle for only one specific dia. hole at a given distance. These are used for drilling 1.5" dia. round and square tubing.

I wanted to provide some ideas for anyone who does a lot of measured drilling and wanted to save some time and may have an idea to modify this setup for their own application.....Denny

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g159/yorkiepap/DSCF0187.jpg
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-31-2006 14:13
Another cheap trick to maintain holes at a non-critical depth in your material, is to place masking tape around the drill bit at the depth you want to drill all of your holes to, and leave a little piece of the tape hanging out away from the bit. The extra flap of tape will start sweeping the chips away as you approach the depth you need then ease up the the tape and stop, now your holes are all approximately the same depth in the material.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Ruled Drilling Guide