Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / stainless tanks
- - By bhiltz (**) Date 01-21-2001 20:21
I have a job of building 4 s.s. holding tanks, 78"widex48"highx20ft long. These will be made from 4'x10'x11ga. s.s.sheets with 1 1/4"s.s.pipe holding across the top. The question I have is where the sheets butt together in the middle,what's the best procedure to weld the joint so as to have minimal distortion(has to be welded both sides).I don't think that I'll have any trouble with the corners(tig outside&stick inside?)I have the equipment available to pick these up,turn them over etc. so welding position can always be flat if need be.
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-05-2001 21:01
11 gage is a somewhat thin plate, so chances are that you'll have some warpage even if precautions are taken. So, the question, in my opinion, is not how to avoid warpage but how to minimize it. When positioning the parts before welding them, use the fixtures which are normally employed to hold the plates in position. These fixtures are generally called "strongbacks" and they are made in a lot of models. Choose the ones that are better for your case. For welding, use the "backstep" method. The plate is quite thin, are you sure you need to weld it from both sides? If so, don't make a whole pass on one side before making the other on the opposite side. Rather, make a portion of one pass on one side and balance it with a portion on the other side until you've completed the weld.
Once the tank is completely welded , chances are that it shows some distortion. Don't get in panic, this is normal in thin plates. You'll have to hammer the distortions from the appropriate side until they are strighten out. A word of caution: as the tanks are stainless steel, don't use carbon steel hammers. As there are no stainless steel hammers (at least I don't know them) either you make one from stainless plate or line a common hammer with a layer of stainless steel.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / stainless tanks