Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / MAG?
- - By John H. UK (*) Date 01-22-2001 21:20
I've heard that MAG is Metallic (I like metallic over metal) Active Gas welding. This will sound stupid but doesn't welding in an active gas defeat the entire idea of what your trying to accomplish in welding? That is to make welds strong and, of coarse more importantly, sparkly. Does it have something to do with something the parent already contains? I can only think you could use it to perhaps burn off ?carbon? in the metal, like on casts and things. Would you be welding in something like oxygen for this? I can't seem to find any information on this at all, anyone know as to where there might be some? I'm just curious as to what it is.

Thanks very much for any help and merry welding to all,
John
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 02-05-2001 17:04
MAG is active gas welding. The two inert gases for continuous, consumable electrode wires would be helium and argon. They work quite fine for aluminum. Try these two gases on steel and you get a ropey weld that won't flatten out. Add a percentage of an active gas (carbon dioxide or oxygen) and the weld flattens out and fuses quite nicely. The heat of the arc and the alloying elements negates the negative affect of the active gas.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / MAG?