Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Helmets
- - By JD Date 01-25-2001 05:35
Does anyone have any comments regarding auto-shade helmets? I am considering buying an Optrel "Solarmatic Comfort" I will be using it for mostly stick welding, with a small amount of cutting and brazing.
Are there any safety issues regarding them, as far as product failure, and/or delay in shade coming 'on'? Anything I should know about caring for them etc. once I get one?
Parent - By awill4x4 (**) Date 01-25-2001 11:56
I use an Esab eye tech auto helmet and it is the best thing since sliced bread. Nearly all of our welding is Tig and it really has made our job much easier.
If you get an auto helmet try to get one with variable shades, me Esab goes from shade 9 to 13
Regards Andrew.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 01-25-2001 12:30
I supply all my welders with eletronic hoods. And they would throw rocks at the old hoods (if they could find a rock in Houston).
Parent - - By JD Date 02-04-2001 05:31
Thank you for the advice. I bought the one I mentioned in my first post - sure beats my old one! (I think I might just get some rocks.....)

Any idea how long they last (barring me dropping it etc.)?
Parent - - By awill4x4 (**) Date 02-04-2001 07:16
JD, I've had my Esab for 4 years now and it's still going strong. If it's your own personal helmet then don't lend it to anyone, as they will not look after it as well as you will. When not in use, hang it up somewhere safe and you should have years of use out of it.
As most of my use is TIG welding, spatter isn't a problem, when MIG welding however, spatter certainly is and it is the worst thing for destroying the clear lenses in the front. As the lenses deteriorate I rotate them so I always use the best lens with TIG and the next best on MIG. NEVER!!! use your helmet without the front clear lens as it's the quickest way to destroy the electronic array.
Regards Andrew.
Parent - By boilermaker (**) Date 02-12-2001 00:49
I've used quite a few different models of blink lens hoods since I've been welding and I've used the Esab model.....but the best speedlens hoods, Hands down are SPEEDGLAS. I have the speedglas XL, APC-V, APC, 9000X, and I use them all the time... I let a couple of the welders I work with use them on occasion, but they know how I expect them to treat my hood. One of them has the Huntsman auto view, and he hates it compared to my speedglas.
The XL I use for my mig welding, the APC's I use for tube tests, and the 9000X I use to air arc.
No doubt about it the older model speedglas' are the best....Hornell needs to bring back a three sensor lens.....get rid of the two sensors, or make a four sensor lens.....
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Helmets