Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / SHOW OFF YOUR PROFESSION...
- - By yorkiepap (***) Date 10-11-2006 01:57 Edited 10-11-2006 02:02
Hi Gents,

I just wanted to give those of you who want to show off your profession a way to have some fun and let those around you know you are proud of what you do. And to those who feel we are not professionals, tell them to show you another profession who can replicate your talent.

[url=http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g159/yorkiepap/DSCF0219.jpg]

We welders are a proud breed and love our profession......Denny
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 10-11-2006 02:03
Great stuff Denny, I couldn't open up the first one though. Regards, Allan
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 10-11-2006 12:08
You could probably make a decent living just selling those.  Very nice!

Charles
Parent - - By Molten Metal (**) Date 10-11-2006 15:20
Hey Denny.Thats very cool.Do you have a brake too? I dont have one but was thinking about getting one.I am terrible with getting the bends just where I need them to be so I have shied away from them,but,trial and error should fix that.:)Diamond plate here in so.ca. is SO expensive now I avoid it unless someone just has to have it.When I quote them a price they almost always ask if there's anothe option..:).
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 10-12-2006 00:20
Hey M/M,
Bet I'm gonna surprise you....Nope...don't have a brake. I really don't have the room for a substantial brake. I found a way at work one day that I like that really works well for me. I got my boss to get me a 10", C7 Tungsten-carbide blade from a company that makes them to your specs.. I ordered a thin(.100") 80 tooth blade with the carbide teeth ground to a 60 degree angle and another at a 90 degree angle. All the bends I want to make, I scribe a line on the plate, set the saw distance to the line, adjust the height of the blade to .075" and make the cut. The D/plate is .120" thick. If I have 3 lines, I adj. the distance to each line and make another cut. I made a fixture to clamp the piece to my welding table and simply just bend the metal to the desired angle. It bends quite easily and very straight and there are no wrinkles. When I set the correct angles, I tack a 1" bead 3 places. This method can also be used for steel as I have bent up to 3/8" plate also. Please take note that I don't do large plates or sheets, but have done up to 40" in length with assistance and not often.

Anyway, just think about trying that if you have a saw blade with that type of angled tip.....Denny
Parent - By ryland (*) Date 12-15-2006 17:55
yes, a circular saw blade works just as well to cut aluminum, as any plasma or shear squar faced cut and no heat destortion.
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 10-11-2006 23:47
Hey guys,
Thank you for your kind remarks.

I wanted to try another avenue and see what would happen regarding interest.....AND, I wanted to be different. I guess we welders like to be different on occasion :>)).

Surprisingly, the interest has been overwhelming. This M/box, because of size, can accomodate a fair size package and a month's supply of mail. I have priced this unit at 200.00 and already have deposits on 4 and deposits on 2 smaller of this style at 135.00. You're right, Charles, I may consider that option. I have spent the last 2 weekends making dimensional drawings for 12 different styles including wall mounted types. I really enjoy making these.

The gent who's classic '68 Mustang Cobra I welded on during restoration, is a cross-country trucker. He has a connection he made that obtains residual cutoff Alum. D/plate. They're all cutoffs that measure 35"X48 1/2". When he told me he can get me all I want at 20.00/sheet, I bought a pallet of 80 sheets. And this is Polished D/plate. I just gave him another order for another pallet :>)).

Anyway, I'll try to post a few more as I get them done......Denny
Parent - - By Molten Metal (**) Date 10-12-2006 05:07
Denny....COOL idea. Glad your finding a nitch.Those boxes are bitchen.I think I get what you mean about the "cuts".Your'e "scoring them" in affect?Is that the deal?So you can easily bend them without having cut them all the way through?Hmmmm.Neat.Oh yea.I got a side job today fixing this guys horse stalls.I told him $45.00 an hour + materials and got the gig.SWEEEEET>:)
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 10-13-2006 02:13
Hey Gary(M/M),
Thanks bro'....it's not really a niche, just something I wanted to try different and see how it would work out. The "cuts" you ask about are really that....I cut into the plate with the special configured sawblade I described previously to a depth that will allow very easy bending once clamped down. Aluminum is so nice to work with and manipulate. You only have to cut them to a depth of 75% of the thickness and the bend will be nicely sharp instead of a larger radius. Never cut through as you end up with 2 pieces. If you want to experiment, take a small piece of 1/8" aluminum plate approx. 4" X 6", draw or scribe a line down the middle, take a 4 1/2" grinder with a .045 cutoff wheel and cut down the line at a slight angle first, and then turn the piece and cut down the line again with a slight angle again so you have a "V" notch. Make the cut so you're about 3/4 thru the thickness. Then clamp it to your welding table and gently bend it. It will bend quite easily as you will see. It does take some practice but you'll get the hang of it after a while.

Congrats. on the side job.....keep hustling bro'.....pass out cards and ask for recommendations.....Denny
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 10-13-2006 17:53
Pretty cool! I'm working on a custom dog crate for my wifes show dog. Hopefully I finish by the Pueblo show. I'm cheating and using a waterjet tho.
Parent - By gndchuck (**) Date 10-16-2006 23:59
Good job, looks really nice.....good idea on the scoring, haven't thought about that.

Good luck on the rest of them

Chuck
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-11-2007 02:15
Denny, how'd you do the hinges?
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 01-11-2007 20:15
Hey SD,
That part initially was kinda tricky since I couldn't find any piano-type hinges anywhere. I took a piece of 1/4" alum. tubing, cut it for the ID, and after tacking it in place (on the door), marked the outer wall & drilled a 3/16" hole so I could slide a length of 3/16" steel rod thru to the other side, and had 1/8" past the outside wall. Then I just took the MIG & welded a small bead on the end of the rod so it couldn't slide back & forth. Worked out nicely, and since then, I have found the piano hinge in 3' lengths so I can cut it to size. If you want a real close up pic, let me know......Denny
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 01-11-2007 23:49
Right on. I've had my share of temper tantrums when it comes to hinges. I finall y figures out that a good gap is needed for a hinge to play at least 178*. Trial and error man, trial and error!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / SHOW OFF YOUR PROFESSION...