The AWS Foundation is pleased to announce the launch of new online application.
The AWS Foundation does not discriminate by age, race, color, national origin, disability, creed or gender.
Jack R. Barckhoff Welding Management Scholarship
The Jack R. Barckhoff Welding Management Scholarship honors a person who has served the welding community and industry with great distinction. His career of distinguished organizational leadership has enhanced the image and impact of the welding industry.
Throughout his career he has been passionately committed to pursue the development and implementation of management tools to improve the productivity, quality, profitability and competitiveness of welding operations in companies across the United States. Many companies have successfully applied and implemented his philosophy, principles and concepts using the copyrighted Barckhoff Method of Total Welding Management.
Jack R. Barckhoff, P.E. founder and chief executive officer of Barckhoff Welding Management and a member of the 2004 Class of Counselors of the American Welding Society, is a management consultant whose career spans over forty-five years. He teaches a credit course at The Ohio State University, using his recently published book, “Total Welding Management” as the text. Mr. Barckhoff also writes articles, lectures and teaches ‘welding management’ at industrial forums. He established his company in 1976 to pursue his vision for welding management. Prior to that, he spent 20 years with The Lincoln Electric Company.
Mr. Barckhoff is a Life Member of AWS, a past chairman of his Local Section, an Associate Trustee of the AWS Foundation and received the AWS District Meritorious Award. He has provided two national Jack R. Barckhoff Welding Management Scholarships for the College of Welding Engineering at The Ohio State University and holds to the principles of “giving forward” to provide more scholarships while supporting his involvement within the welding community, and welding as an ‘engineered science.’
The purpose for this scholarship is to provide financial assistance to those individuals interested in pursuing a career in welding engineering while attending The Ohio State University.
The Jack R. Barckhoff Welding Management Scholarship will be awarded to a college junior pursuing a minimum four-year bachelors degree in welding engineering (WE) at The Ohio State University. Seniors entering OSU graduate school in welding engineering will be considered if there are no qualified junior welding engineering candidates. All applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements. Any OSU Welding Engineer going into the Research Field upon graduation is not eligible to receive a Jack R. Barckhoff Welding Management Scholarship.
- Applicant must be a minimum of eighteen years of age.
- Applicant must have a minimum 2.5 grade point average overall.
- Applicant must be a junior currently enrolled in the welding engineering program at The Ohio State University.
- Seniors entering The Ohio State University graduate school in welding engineering will be considered if there are no qualified junior welding engineering candidates.
- Applicant must submit all required application information.
- Applicant must be a citizen of the United States of America
- Applicants not receiving the award are eligible to reapply
- Award recipients may reapply and are eligible to receive the award for a maximum of two years.
- Applicant will be expected to enroll and complete the 2-hour credit course in Total Welding Management at The Ohio State University during his/her Junior or Senior Year.
Applicant must complete a 300-500 word essay on how they see their role once they have graduated in improving the world of welding and the welding industry in the United States. And, how will they use their education to improve the U.S. competitive position in welding and manufacturing.