Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Health!
- - By vodex Date 10-27-2014 11:48
New medical review says workers exposed to metal fumes are more prone to certain types of pneumonia

WELDERS and other workers exposed to metal fumes should receive a simple vaccination that can prevent serious lung disease and even save their lives, according to a new review published today in the scientific journal Occupational Medicine.

"The review found that welders die more often from certain types of pneumonia and that they should be offered the PPV23 vaccination so that potentially fatal lung disease can be prevented.

‘Many employers are unaware that exposure to welding fumes can cause pneumonia, and that although fatal cases are rare, they can occur,’ explained Keith Palmer, Professor of Occupational Medicine at the MRC Lifecourse Epidemiology Unit, University of Southampton, and lead author of the review.

‘Companies need to ensure that anyone who undertakes welding work or is exposed to metal fumes is offered the vaccination. They also need to advise workers how to reduce their exposure to the fumes as much as possible and encourage them to not smoke.’

According to the review, welders are up to six times more likely to suffer from pneumococcal pneumonia – a disease that usually affects those who are very young, the elderly and those with impaired immunity.

The paper also confirms recent advice from the Department of Health that welders should be given the vaccination. This new guidance is not yet widely recognized and the Society of Occupational Medicine believes it needs to be communicated to healthcare professionals, welders themselves, and their employers."
Parent - - By electrode (***) Date 10-27-2014 12:23
vodex, which btw is a coated welding electrode's trade name of MUREX (UK),

1. Yes, certainly you may be right with what you say, but - which "paper" are you referring to?
2. Definitely nobody will be that dumb to follow you, stepping into this trap by clicking on that website link that you have provided.

I hence wish to quote from David Lynch's 'Dune': "The first step in avoiding a trap is knowing of its existence."

No disrespect, but as you seem to come from that region of the planet.
The incredible bunch of scrap forum users, apparently stemming from Poland and impertinently polluting this fantastic welding platform here, is making me - excuse my French - sick.
Parent - - By S J (**) Date 10-27-2014 12:53
Good points electrode!

By no means do I consider myself a "math genius", but I have been exposed to a few seminars in "basic statistics" in my travels.

Without seeing the data used to arrive at this "conclusion", I am left wondering if the results have been "confounded".

There is an old saying that claims that anything can be proven by using statistics - and that may very well be the case if the data set(s) are carefully chosen (i.e. cherry picked).

1.) My first question would be related to the natural weather climates the welders in the author's "data set" are required to work in.

2.) My second question would be related to the shop or dry dock temperature conditions and what type of cold weather gear is made available to them.  There have been a few posts at this forum that address issues related to cold weather gear.  I tend to prefer Thinsulate or Gore-Tex myself - no offense to my many friends and associates in Texas.

Since this "confusion" might have arisen through unintentional oversight, my preference is to attempt to remain politically correct as often as possible though.  But, your advice about website links is wise to consider these days - so that point is well taken.

It might help the forum if more details are posted when citing references - but, some of us are also pressed by time demands.  But, then too, there is always the copy/paste keyboard shortcuts - as well as applications in anti-virus and security software that can scan suspicious URL links.
Parent - By electrode (***) Date 10-27-2014 16:07
S J,

"...my preference is to attempt to remain politically correct as often as possible though."

I can see your point and your advice is well appreciated.
Thank you.

I do also fully agree with what you say on statistics.
In another post earlier this year I myself made use of this: "La statistique a démontré que la mortalité dans l’armée augmente sensiblement en temps de guerre." [1]
Should mean: Statistics reveals that during wartime the death rate explicitly increases among those serving the army.

[1] http://mathematiques.ac-bordeaux.fr/profplus/docmaths/statistiques/artigues/preambule.pdf
Parent - - By vodex Date 10-27-2014 14:15
Why not?
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-27-2014 15:31
I have no opinion,

Here is a link from copying one of the lines in the original post.

This one from "Welding Design and fabrication"
http://weldingdesign.com/news/WeldersPneumonia

And this other from the U.K.
https://www.som.org.uk/news/media-releases/single-media/article/welders-told-to-get-vaccination-29/
Parent - - By electrode (***) Date 10-27-2014 15:53
Because of that:
Quote:

"Chyba nie ma osoby, jaka nie wiedziałaby kim jest Święty Mikołaj. Już od dawien dawna Święty Mikołaj jest patronem Świąt Bożego Narodzenia, które co roku obchodzi się w grudniu. Święty Mikołaj przedstawiany jest jako starszy człowiek, z siwymi włosami oraz siwą długą brodą. Jest dość gruby i nosi czerwony strój. Święty łódzki mikołaj jest wyobrażany jako pogodna i wesoła osoba, jaka nagradza przyzwoite dzieci zostawiając im prezenty pod choinką, za to niegrzeczne dzieci prezentów nie dostają, czy znajdują pod choinką rózgę. Święty Mikołaj jest uznawany przez dużo religii, chociaż w niektórych krajach różni się jego wyobrażenie, ponadto jest on także znany pod innymi nazwami, przykładowo jako Gwiazdor. Święty Mikołaj jedzie nocą poprzez niebo, w wozie ciągniętym przez magiczne latające renifery. Dzieci nierzadko do pewnego wieku mniemają, że Święty Mikołaj istnieje naprawdę, toteż z niecierpliwością czekają na jego wizytę oraz prezenty, jakie od niego dostaną. Idea przejrzysta Świętego Mikołaja nikt nigdy nie widział i zobaczyć nie może, bo przychodzi on jedynie wtenczas, gdy wszyscy śpią. Znanym zwyczajem jest zostawianie na stoliku szklanki mleka i ciasteczek, jako skromnego poczęstunku dla Świętego Mikołaja. Święty Mikołaj podług wyobrażeń mieszka w Laponii bądź również na biegunie północnym wraz z Panią Mikołajową oraz grupką robotnych małych elfów, jakie zajmują się produkowaniem prezentów dla dzieci. Dzieci często piszą listy do Mikołaja, jakie często wysyłają prawdziwą pocztą – co roku można odnaleźć tysiące takich listów pisanych do Mikołaja."

Unquote.

Any further questions?
Parent - By vodex Date 10-28-2014 20:01 Edited 10-28-2014 20:06
Indeed, the link is a valid and correct one which leads to the official polish country website, I have posted a screen shot for your prusal as I would never wish you to link onto somewhere youdid not 100% trust! Santa claus was my childhood hero and when I found his wasnt factual I was very upset.
It is quite unusal for any of the spmamers to participate in forum conversations.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Health!