Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASME qual code book
1 2 Previous Next  
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-03-2009 05:08
Good to read from you too stickwelder!!! ;) I see that you're finally developing a sense of humor in here. ;) Well, enjoy the reading because I know that there's a whole bunch to catch up on from whats' been posted up recently, to all of the threads you haven't had a chance to read yet which may have some "age' to them. ;)

Henry
Parent - - By north_fl_cwi (*) Date 11-02-2009 21:12
I am not going to try and read into anything that was said or who means what.... I will just say I qualify welders nearly every day to ASME IX.  If you need any help, just ask, I'll do what I can.  It took me MANY years to become comfortable and familiar with IX and I think I still learn something new every time I open it.  Bad news is, these guys are right, you can not test welders "on the side" and be in accordance with ASME IX.

As to the mention above about interworkings of other codes, absolutely.  I find myself with 4-5 books open at one time on my desk all the time.  Sometimes I feel like a dog chasing my tail flipping back and forth between code books.  All the ASME BPVC and B31 books.  And once in a while crack open the D1.1.
Parent - By stickwelder (*) Date 11-03-2009 04:50
I now have the code in hand to start researching. I have only looked through it for a couple of hours, but can easily see where it could take years to become comfortable and familiar with it. The information seems reasonably more difficult to navigate than the D1.1 i have worked with. It will take alot of time reading and locating information to be equipped for welder testing. One of the first things i wanted to locate was information on visual, and mechanical tests for welder performance and haven't located all of it. I quickly found QW-194 which seems to address the root bead on an open root, but doesn't give much more. I am sure there is add'l information on this i will find with more time.

The purpose of the testing being performed is for a "state" card. The state law here requires the welder to pass "any wps in accordance with ASME IX, API 1104 or AWS." That leaves the criteria pretty broad obviously. A welder could certify to AWS d1.1 on a groove weld with backing or ASME plate, or pipe-well any number of possibilities to recieve their state card. The state license doesn't include all of the information provided on the welder performance qualication paperwork, so the employer has to verify that document as well as the state license for alignment to the WPS in use. The most common qualilfication required by local employers seems to be with SMAW on 6" sch. 40-6010 and 7018, though obviously this can vary depending on the applicable code and process used. Many employers just require a "6g" certification for employment and then perform add'l testing to their own specific application.

I appreciate the infomation i have received. I have much more research to do to be fully prepared.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASME qual code book
1 2 Previous Next