Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / FiveseveN fired out-of-battery
- - By hogan (****) Date 05-19-2008 21:02
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=362563
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-19-2008 21:32
hogan,
  Thanks for the link.

WOW, thats not good at all.

John
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 05-19-2008 21:38
I think i would be a little apprehensive to fire a pistol again. Not that i wouldn't, just that it would be in the back of my mind.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-19-2008 21:41
At least that model. I try to stay away from the el-cheapo pistols, but isn't that a pretty well built weapon?
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 05-20-2008 12:53
Hope my Glock doesn't ever do that.
Parent - By TRC (***) Date 05-20-2008 15:04 Edited 05-20-2008 16:09
I hate to be the bearer of bad news to all gun owners but go to NRA.ORG and read about the presidential candidates. Some have a strong voice against Americans owning firearms of any kind at any time.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-20-2008 20:54
I've had overloaded cases explode in a G21 and G17. They are designed to blow the magazine out of well without blowing up. There have been super rare occasions of failures, but those are inherent in any mass produced item.

Speaking for myself only, I've never had any of my glocks, (17, 20, 21) fail. I've got several thousand rounds through each, and even for my fate tempting loads, they have never come appart, or show any signs of it.

I can't say the same for my delta elite 10mm which now resides on the wall of shame in my gun room. My hand looked much like that gentlemens after it came appart on me.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-21-2008 05:35
Gerald, now I don't feel so bad about jugging the cylinder on an "American Bulldog" saturday night special when I was about 14 years old. At least the little turd stayed together.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 05-21-2008 16:09
My sincere condolences on your Delta Elite.  I hate to see a 10mm bite the dust.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-03-2008 22:22
Those Delta frames, to the best of my knowledge were never made to any different specs than the std 1911 chambered in .45 ACP. I have talked to a few guys that blew theirs up, or had stress problems with the receiver. That ten is HOT. About 1 1/2 X FPS velocity (roughly) than a std 230 gr round in .45 ACP. Maybe my info's wrong on the delta specs, please advise if so, but heard that story from several credible people. Who knows?? I always wanted one though! .38 Super would be nice too.

Here's my toy.
Attachment: IMAG2059.JPG (0B)
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-03-2008 22:53
NICE!!
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-04-2008 01:54
Thanks! I have Ivory double diamond grips on it now. Got them made from a guy who worked as a manager for the Colt Custom Shop for 20+ years. I did all the finish & internal work myself, (polish, mag well throat, ejection port relief, action, comm hammer, etc.) about 10 years ago. Only a wee lad then. (Got lucky & had a real EXCELLENT teacher.) I had it dipped, didn't have the tanks to blue it myself. The metal finish & engine turning are all mine though. Used to be big into guns. Made all my own holsters too. Don't have a lot of time for it anymore.

I would really like a Combat Commander Series 70, chambered in .38 super one day. Only about $700+!! Funds don't justify that right now!! Toys have to wait. I feel real bad for the dude that got his hand practically blown off.  Sounds like a class action suit to me if that gun's firing so far out of battery, doing it on other guns as well & hurting people. I was always under the impression that FN was a very reputable gun manufacturer. If he said, "I got a lawyer", maybe they wouldn't still be screwing him around!

Thanks again for the props John!!:-) S.W

"My blood is boiling now, on this journey...To no avail! On this ship of fools, we're gonna die.....Will no one listen...To what I say?"
(Burial At Sea, Metal Church, The Dark LP)
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-04-2008 04:30
Looks great. Did You do all the acuracy stuff too? I see some custom parts there.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-04-2008 05:01
Thanks, Dave. Yeah, I did everything but blue it. Actually, I did the work in about 1995-1996. I was about 23 or so then. I knew a dude where I worked & he used to work for Magna Port here in Michigan in the '80's. He started to show me stuff & I went over to his place every day. He taught me basic stuff & how to polish metal on a wheel. I did all the metal finish, jeweling & buffing, the sights, new dogleg spring housing, SS M. spring housing, drop in beaver tail (I had no mill at the time, only a file), commander hammer & trigger, full action job (NO spring kits) full length guide rod, hammer safety. I didn't put in a link or barrel. That was a little over my head then. I widened the mag housing & cut the ejection port by hand though. Lightened the mag release spring a tad too. Did good for using a dremel & files at the time. Not like I'm bragging. It's NOT perfect, but it's a solid 5# pull & shoots with no jamming & smooth. I love it. I'll give it to my kid someday.  Nuthin' like a fine 1911 (1991 in my case, didn't have the $$ for the nicer one.) I don't care for the redesigned Cots with the flat tops and angled slide serrations besides. I'm old school all the way on a 1911 GVT MOD. None of that Para Ordinance or Kimber stuff, NOT to say they aren't VERY well made firearms in their own right, just not for me. I'll email you a few pics along with that anvil. I stayed up WAAAY to late last night. It's all YOUR fault! :-) I'm going to bed now! S.W.

"Living in a world of make-believe...I can hide behind what's real. But wearing your emotions on your sleeve...And they all know what you feel." (Straight Through The Heart, Ronnie James Dio, Holy Diver LP)
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-04-2008 05:16
    Steve, I am a night person, I prefer to get up at the crack of noon, but I am usually up an hour before that. :-)  When I worked nights, it suited My internal clock well.

A guy I worked with in the '80s had built Himself a pretty good .45, but then He shot a professionally built high dollar one. He sold the one He built to another co worker who was tickled pink with it, and got an expensive pro built one. His father in law was a cop, and they did the bowling pin shoots and similar stuff.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-04-2008 11:51
Yeah, those Colt Match Grades are trick. Other clones are dope too. No argument there. Just give me a D level fully engraved Gold Cup National Match & I would die a happy man! (Yeah, the PRICE would kill me!!) :-) I'll get those pics. S.W.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 06-04-2008 10:42
Your information matches my experience. I've several 1911's over the years, the 10 was the only one to ever give me trouble.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-04-2008 11:48
Sorry to hear that! I'm not happy the info's correct. I knew a few credible guys who told me, so I never really doubted. That 10 is just too much for a lot of folks (and receivers, obviously!). The FBI had originally looked at making it the official round of the Bureau with the creation of the Smith & Wesson 1006 double action with decocking (much like the Colt Double Eagle). Just was too much for a lot of agents to handle. Especially for several female agents (AND NO I'M NOT KNOCKING FEMALE AGENTS) Then, along came the 40S&W, one of the most popular calibers to ever grace the sidearms of law enforcement. I believe it has exceeded the 9mm by now in popularity, most law enforcement agencies carry it now. (cut down 10 case, less powder) I believe it's the official round now, only the Sig Sauer being the official gun best I can remember.

The TEN is still a bad ass caliber & I had a Glock 20 & loved it. Not even close to the style & lines of a Delta Elite. Great idea, just too much round for that gun. I don't think John Browning had that in mind for his master creation.

"Silent death rides high above on the wings of Revelation... Multi death from chemicals, arrogance has won...Annihilation must be swift, destroy without destruction." (Chemical Warfare, Slayer, Hell Awaits LP)
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 06-04-2008 12:51
There is a bit more history to that. I have read reports that the SW platform was having failures as well. "grace the sidearms of law enforcement"
Grace is not a word I would use in relation to a .40sw. That round is but a shadow of it's parent round. I'd take a 9mm or 10mm over the .40sw all day long.
the .40 has none of the benifits of either round, and is in my opinion, a summation of the worst of them both.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-04-2008 15:25
I will agree with you on your feelings about the .40 S&W. Never owned one, never shot one. Never all that turned on by one either.  I was actually amazed at the popularity of it when it got introduced around the early '90's. I never thought it would gain the ground that it did. Yes, the 1006 did have some problems. The decocking mechanism was an issue for one. I liked my Colt Double Eagle, which was similar in operation. That, coupled with the power of the round probably did it in. I never personally shot the 1006, but my smithing teacher had one & shared the history about it, hence my comments surrounding that firearm.

I'm a .45ACP guy, but I would take that 10mm over just about anything else. Power, size, velocity & magazine capacity, there's just about no comparison that comes even close in an automatic caliber round.  "That round is but a shadow of it's parent round." I couldn't have really said it better. :-) Thanks for the insight!! S.W.
Parent - - By Plasma-Brain (**) Date 05-21-2008 02:28
Egads, thats horrible...
ive always wanted a FiveseveN, now im not so sure. :( :( :(
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 05-21-2008 06:11
Key word..."Reloads".
Problem is, there are so many variables when reloading, micro fissure in the case neck, wrong primer etc, with the potential for disaster. There's even one called "detonation" from NOT enough powder that can blow up a firearm from excess pressure! The ballistics experts equate it to a "dust explosion", similar in theory to the spontaneous combustion of abandoned grain elevators. I've often wondered about the durability of plastic guns, and this reinforces my faith in owning all metal receivers!
Bummer about the shrapnel in that fella's hand, got a couple of tiny pieces myself (industry related, not guns), and they are a pain.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 05-21-2008 06:25 Edited 05-21-2008 06:27
Anyone else notice the BB spatter and underfill of the welds on the top of the slide in the second foto?
I know, this is the off topic bar n grill..........can't help it!!
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 05-21-2008 12:17
Saw it. I can not help it either. I am constantly catching myself looking at welds when I go to stores, carnivals, fairs, heck even driving down the road. I look over and there is a truck pulling a RANCO rock trailer, what do I do? Look at the welds.

Obsessed?

jrw
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-21-2008 15:49
Superflux,

apples to apples, I'll go up against any other metal frame pistol with a glock. I can't speak for any of the other "plastic" guns as you call them, but the polymer frames on the Glocks cannot be beat. I've tried dilligently to destroy them and could not succeed.

I cannot say the same for several of the metal frame models of which are numerous over the years.

The way I look at a pistol is that it's the last line of defense before the knife and fist come out. As such, it should be able to withstand tremendous abuse, and abuse them I have. Only 5 line of pistols have every withstood the abuse I've put them through. Those being 1. Glock, 2. IMI 3.Ruger and a few of the SIG line, and the HK usp.

I will not own any other make. My current information came at great expense financially and physically, but now I own what I can trust to a. Stay together b. hit the target and c. function in extremly adverse conditions.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-21-2008 15:58
one other thing of note. For reloading, you get what you pay for, and get out of it what you put in it. Every single case I load goes through a more rigerous inspection than a section XI class one weld. It takes me a lot of time to load, but one thing I've never had is an unexpected case failure. On the other hand, I've tried to make them fail, and couldn't in some cases. Especially on lake city brass and IMI.

I have heard of the cases you speak of, but it's usually someone who is either not being watchfull during loading, or has tried to go cheap on money or time or both. Those are the same kind of people that drive in rush hour with a phone in their ear, eating a hamburger, and checking out the lastest sports illustrated at the same time. The potential for disaster follows these people around like a cloud of flies in the cow pasture.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 05-21-2008 16:52
Reloading is a bit like welding. Take the time to learn how to do it properly, follow the safety rules, don't exceed your abilities, follow the procedures, and you will be fine.

Do it wrong and you have a good chance of having something come apart at the seams.

I have reloaded for abut 30 years now without any major problems - knock on wood.

Now an AD (accidental discharge) is another matter.  I've had one.  Dry firing a 10mm I picked up a mag that apparently still had one round in it,  The mag was stainless - the round was nickel plated case with silver tip bullet - and on a quick albeit careless glance, I mistook the round for the silvery magazine follower.  I blew away a kerosene lamp (without any kerosene in it), penetrated several jackets (one of which was goose down - glass and feathers everywhere), and embedded the slug in a wall stud. 
It is strange how all sound suddenly muted to silence, then came rushing back in time to hear the casing hit the floor.  My German Shepard gave me a dirty look that I thought only a human could make.  It's funny how that dog always disappeared whenever I brought a gun out after that.
Stupidity on my part caused the problem, but at least I had not pointed the gun at anything I would not be willing to see destroyed.  (The jackets were no big deal and the lamp was only a decoration.)

So lesson learned- as with reloading...always put away anything else that does not have to do with what I am doing at the moment -roloading or shooting.  Only one powder out on the bench.  One type of primer, one type of bullet and etc.  For shooting, only one type of cartridge out at a time (no 20 ga shells in a 12 ga barrel; or .308 in a 25-06) and if dry firing - ALL ammunition is put away.  Then pay strict attention to what I am doing.  If I can't do that, then I must wait until I can. 
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 05-21-2008 19:34
Peace of mind... That is why we (ok, me) own hi-capacity large caibre hand guns. It's like at 2:30 AM when walking from the parking lot to the motel room, and there is a group of rough looking characters, hanging out in the shadows, smoking a "rock", talking loudly and staring in your direction...my peace of mind is cocked and locked in my lower coat pocket with a buncha hollow point bang bangs in the handle.
When I saw the fotos of the blown frame, couldn't help but think that a 4140 steel frame would have saved that gentleman an emergency room visit (Think he put on clean underwear first?). I only own one piece that is not a steel frame. I just prefer the ductility and over all toughness of steel vs. aluminum alloys.
The Glocks are truly a "modern marvel" and set a benchmark for innovation in the design of sidearms, with their polymer construction and the unique safety. First time I saw one, I thought they were going to be a bit unweildy/uncomfortable, but it did feel good shooting. Glocks have proven themselves thru the test of time, and millions of rounds fired...
Is there any documentable evidence of FN's firing out of battery? Should we wait a while B4 test driving a FiveseveN?

I am in total agreement with CHGuilford and CWI555's reloading practicies. I've damaged a couple of pistols, but I was playing with the 2000 fps goal in a .44 mag. 1) sheared the bolts on a scope which then struck me on the eyebrow...try explaining that to your long gun benchrest buddies. 2) reversed a primer into the firing pin hole and locked up a S&W 629. 3) blew open a Thompson Contender.
Lessons learned...save new cartridge developement for the experts with universal receivers and be content with a slower bullet that you can put 2 or 3 into the same hole...
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 05-22-2008 15:44
Without a test barrel and duplication of the loads involved in this incident, everything said here (by myself and others) is only conjecture and guesses. Having said that this gentleman's reloading procedures are dangerous. According to  HIS posting  as listed below, he went from a  28 GRAIN BULLET loading which in his words functioned flawlessly and then nearly (only off by one grain)   DOUBLED  THE  BULLET WEIGHT  by going to a 55 grain bullet   WITH THE SAME LOAD DATA.  Since he does not list powder charge weights, primer types, and case brands, it must be reasoned that   with the same load data    he means same powder charge weights, primers and cases.

I cannot recall any pistol calibers that have such a wide range of bullet weights available. Semi-autos have a relatively narrow range of loads that will function properly and he said the 28 grain bullet loads "functioned flawlessly".  By going to a 55 grain bullet with the same charges, he sent the pressure curve off the chart.

While possible, I find it hard to believe   FN   designed a firearm that would fire out of battery.  I have seen several  old guns (most of which had been worked on by un-qualified people) that would indeed fire out of battery.

THE PARAGRAPHS BELOW ARE QUOTED FROM THE SHOOTERS POST ON ANOTHER FORUM

"Back to the accident. I had fired 66 rounds all reloads of various bullets (Hornady 40grain VMAX, pulled 28grain HP from SS195LF, Hornady 55grain FMJ). My 2nd 20round magazine I fired 5 rounds of 40VMAX I had some failure-to-eject (these were loaded with HS-6, I've had problems with that powder causing FTE), then tossed the magazine so I could pull those bullets and reload them with Ramshot TrueBlue.

After that I fired 20 rounds of the 28grain bullets, all of which functioned flawlessly with Ramshot TrueBlue powder. The next magazine of 20 rounds was the 55grain FMJ with the load data above.

The first magazine fired flawlessly, I even noted in my reloading book that it I might want to try loading to 5.1grains and see how they functioned. The 2nd magazine is when I ran into the malfunction, the first round fired like the previous 20, the it happened."

Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / FiveseveN fired out-of-battery