Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Aluminum Wire Storage
- - By mkulikow (*) Date 11-25-2002 12:52
What is the best way to store open spools of 4043 and 5356 wire?

I was thinking 1) put in ziploc bag and Argon purge, or use one of those stupid Foodsavers to vacuum seal it, or 2) to build a small oven that can stay around 100 degrees and have Argon purge capability.

Let me know.

- Mike
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-25-2002 14:41
What size spools are you working with?
John Wright
Parent - - By mkulikow (*) Date 11-25-2002 14:45
I will be using both 4" and 8" spools. This is a part time business so I am not prepared to go out and have to spend $200 on one of these. For what I charge for the docks I can throw the spools away when I am done welding. I currently use almost half of a 4" spool on each dock, at $4 its not worth buying an oven. But I can also run 8" spools in my SP-175+ and in that case I would store them.

- Mike
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-25-2002 16:01
We have ovens for 60lb. rolls of wire, but that would be a bit pricey for your application. Since you are not using large quanities, I believe I would be tempted to use an old dorm room refridgerator with a 100watt light bulb. Something to mainly keep the wire dry and clean. Something heated, because it might tend to sweat with temp. changes, if not heated.
Post a request in the "Equipment Wanted" section for a used "adjustable" rod oven that you could turn the heat down (to keep your plastic spools from melting). Maybe someone will have one cheap.
Give it try, can't hurt anything to ask,
John Wright
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 11-25-2002 16:55
An additional comment to what JW mentioned about temperature. The humidity (dew point) is critical to Al electrodes and materials. Storage would include storing above ground , in dry plastic bags, indoors, etc. A controlled atmosphere works fine such as the light bulb in the closet as JW mentioned. A light bulb in the storage locker was all that was needed for aerospace applications (at least it was 15 years ago).

The key is to keep the oxide film to a minimum.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Aluminum Wire Storage