Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Any Stick Weldind Jobs left in the US, im looking for work!!
- - By KENNY629 (**) Date 05-28-2008 16:30
IF SO, LET ME KNOW WHERE I CAN APPLY, I AM ON TONS OF WEBSITES LIKE MONSTER, INDEED AND YAHOO JOBS, JUST TO NAME A FEW... BUT THERE DOESNT SEEM TO BE MUCH WORK OUT THERE. ALSO, I HAVE RESUME QUESTION, SINCE THE INFORMATION ON MY WELDING LIC IS TO LONG TO PUT EVERYTHING ON MY RESUME, HOW SHOULD I HIGH LITE THE CERTIFICATE WITHOUT GETTING CRAZY AND LETTING EMPLOYERS NOW WHAT I HAVE. THANK YOU.
Parent - - By pipeliner04 (**) Date 06-05-2008 01:48
so what kind of work do you do again,,,ive never heard of a cert that you could carrry with you unless its for the same gas company just a different location.  you sound to me like a junk iron hand,,,you say theres no work,,,,hmmmmmm,,,whats up
Parent - - By texwelder (***) Date 06-05-2008 01:53
i agree he ain't lookin very hard, anybody that has ever struck an arc can get work these days
Parent - By KENNY629 (**) Date 06-11-2008 17:47
well if that's the case, trhen show me some websites that i can check out.
Parent - By KENNY629 (**) Date 06-11-2008 17:46
junk iron hand? what's that? i never heard that term before? what would u like to know, please ask and i will get you all the information u need. thank you
Parent - - By mountainman (***) Date 06-11-2008 18:26
i'm in a frisky mood so i'm gonna stir the pot.......i think KENNY629's best option for finding a stable income at this point in anything related to welding would be to use some of his time setting in front of the computer rather than stomping some ground with his feet and invent a game and fabricate a little jostick in the shape of a stinger so he and all of his followers can weld anytime they want to , even if no one is looking for welders. it would simoultaneously give him endless hours of the welding he so desires and if he markets it properly make a ton of money. the only catch would be that he would have to actually approach a real life person on numerous accounts to get buyers for his newly invented game. KENNY i hope your pickin up what i'm puttin down, cause it really could work, if you have a true desire to make it so. advise is free, but no one should ever take it for nothing.

JJ
Parent - By KENNY629 (**) Date 06-11-2008 19:21
now that's what i call some funky stuff right there! haha, good points and all, but im not sure if its for me.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 06-11-2008 19:18
Hello KENNY629, I believe there have been quite a few folks who have basically told you that you are possibly going about your job hunting and procuring efforts in a less than desirable manner. I run into students that run the range of personal skills, abilities, attitudes, etc. I try to convey to them that work isn't just a matter of having skills to perform welds, fit parts up, and handle the physical aspects of their work. It embodies many more components than that. One of the worst scenarios that I can give to a student is to describe to them a hypothetical individual who is absolutely the most talented and incredible welder and fitter that the world has ever seen, yet if this same person can't speak in a clear and confident manner, present themselves at an interview as they should, fill out a resume properly, write so that their writing can be read, listen, pay attention, and show retention of what they have heard, they may never get the chance to show their true capabilities. I do not know if you have ever had the opportunity to take any classes on interviewing skills or any of the other types of skills that I included above, but you could possibly benefit by doing so. Since you are comfortable with on-line types of things there are many websites that offer examples of properly crafted resumes and possibly there may be others as well that could help you with suggestions for being more successful with your interviewing skills. So, don't give up yet, simply consider what others here have told you and without feeling degraded or anything use these criticisms to make positive changes in your approach. Best regards, aevald
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-11-2008 19:25
Well said aevald, as always. :-) 

jrw159
Parent - By KENNY629 (**) Date 06-11-2008 19:26
now that's a person with a some good ideas, thank you sir, well written.... on what others are writing about me and telling, i take it in stride I DONT let it bother me at all. on taking classes, well im QUITE sure that I have the right skills to intervies, its not like i just graduated high school and entering the workforce, u know. i have been around sometime, i have been on the ladder pretty high, so that's not the problem. maybe i should just shut up and LET see where this journey takes me... I HAVE been known to be like that a FREE BIRD as they say.. lol
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 06-12-2008 00:16
In the last 20 plus years of welding then inspection I have filled out exactly 0 applications to get a job. Few if any companies are looking for welders on the internet. Most of the welders show up at their shops with their hood, gloves, glasses and steel toe shoes ready to go to work. They ask for the welder boss and see if they can take a test. If the welder boss say NO, they go to the next shop. I do agree there are some places in the US right now where welding jobs are pretty scarce.
But it aint HERE.
I do not know what part of the country you live in but it seems to me if you want to weld , you need to move.
And I may be wrong, but there is nobody on this forum gonna offer you a job!
But I could be wrong.
BABRT's
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 06-12-2008 07:57
All good and valid points and I guess in my own opinion, some have been a bit harsh on Kenny.  The points are valid but... anyway, you asked about stick welding jobs in the US, I would venture a guess that stick welding is used extensively in some 98% - 99.9% of construction jobs in the USA.  Simple reason is it's so easy and versitile.  Now then, having said that, I would say stick welding is going down in shop use... there are far more productive processes.

Use your free time in the evenings to hit some of the large construction firms online; Bechtel, Fluor, Kellogg, etc., in the daytime hit the streets after checking your local phone book.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Any Stick Weldind Jobs left in the US, im looking for work!!