Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding trailer
- - By frankie Date 12-04-2002 22:47
how you doin
been reading this forum finally decided to join, been welding for 34 years pro and hobby. just picking up new trailblazer 301g and 625 spectrum plasma. any ideas how to set up trailer for mobile work?

thanks in advance

frankie
Parent - - By chuck houck Date 12-05-2002 23:15
hello frankie I'm new to the board but would like to offer my 2 cents. i just recently went back to school at age 35 to get some welding certs. mostly for personal reasons, but also because i purchased a champion 10,000 hobart and am trying to pick up a little work. i bought the cover that was offered for the welder to try and protect it from the weather. it does a decent job but i think an enclosed trailer is the way to go, especially while pulling the trailer in adverse conditions.
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 12-06-2002 00:14
Good advice on the enclosed trailer.

You asked specifically about a trailer, but I used to drive a 1 ton Ford van with a box on the ass end. The entire "shop on wheels" was totally enclosed with the welders' exhaust piped out through the bottom. This rig had one of the older generation Trailblazers with the HF for TIG and about 200' of lead. Despite the physical size of the machine, it was fitted so oil changes, maintenance, etc. could still be performed inside the box. The gas line was hooked into the trucks two gas tanks.

We could SMAW, FCAW, GTAW and GMAW with the same machine. Used it for cutting when I was too lazy to drag out the gas hoses. We would go out and weld in the rain (inside the box of course) when other welders were sitting waiting for the weather to clear.

That was 1984-87. This guy still has the same rig, excellent shape, same Miller Trailblazer. Custom paint, it still draws attention.

The biggest advantages to this set-up is:
1.) You only lock the vehicle doors to prevent theft. Not a bunch of tool boxes.
2.) You can work inside the box on smaller parts during inclement weather.
3.) ALL of your equipment, consumables and materials could be stored in a secured, dry environment.

On the other hand, I have seen heavy duty rigs (Mack, HD Fords and Chevys, etc.) with rigs on the back that look very sharp. But, the equipment is still exposed to the elements. I think the Trailblazers have some protection like SS covers and what-not. But it does not keep out any fuilds, rocks, bugs, birds (no kidding), etc.

Trailers increase OA vehicle lengths, restrict access, difficult to back up depending on what is pulling it, etc. Several of my clients have had their trailer rigs ripped off. One had 3 rigs stolen in one year. Unless your good buddies with the crane operator and he'll hoist your rig over the weekend, I would not leave anything for the thieves.

Sorry for rambling.
Parent - By mcwelding (**) Date 12-06-2002 02:15
hey frankie,
twice i typed a detailed reply and once got booted and lost it and second hit the esc button. now im gonna be short. i have my 301g along with everything you could think in a 5 x 10 heavy duty single axle trailer. it is open and very easy to acces everything. i have a tarp if i get rained on and i keep it backed in the garage and locked when not in use. i lined the open sides with presure treated lumber. this setup works very well for me. im just a part time welding business. the trailer is very easy to manuever and my gmc 3500 4x4 dually will drag it wherever. the rear of the trailer has 2 heavy duty expanded grating ramps and nothing will fall out the back. everything is straped in and the 301g is bolted down and grounded to the frame. let us know what you come up with.
rich
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding trailer