Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Lincoln 305G
- - By ScottV (**) Date 12-03-2002 06:02
I was wondering if anybody has welded with a lincoln 305G?
I bought one a few months ago,and it really seems to be a very nice machine.I do very little stick welding,but alot of mig.It really has a nice spray,and short arc.I use a ln9 GMA feeder with it,although lincoln says it can't be used.They are wrong on that.You just have to pull the power of a different plug.

I almost bought a Miller Trailblazer 301 ac/dc,but thought I didn't need the ac arc.I have a Thermalarc 300 GTSW ac/dc inverter for ac if needed.They were about the same price both under $3200.00.The Lincoln list for alot higher than the Trailblazer.I thought I got a great deal on the Lincoln.

I mostly use it for a back up generator if needed.It pretty quiet also.
I would like to here other opinions on the Trailblazer vs lincoln .I heard the Trailblazer has a nice arc also.
Parent - - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 12-04-2002 01:46
I heard one of the new diesel Trailblazers...wait...no, I DIDN'T hear it...hehehe it was a VERY quiet machine because of the extra engineering and insulation inside the casing.

I'd want AC on a portable machine only because I'd never know when I'd want to TIG some aluminum somewhere other than in the shop.
Parent - By ScottV (**) Date 12-04-2002 02:44
I just figured I plug the light weight inverter in to the lincoln.That way I have a true squarewave arc.The lincoln has a nice dc lift arc which the miller is does not.The diesels are out of my price range anyway.I really think you have factor in the price of the add ons to get only a so-so ac arc.
The welding store bought the lincoln in for a customer,and he changed his mind and bought the Miller 301g.That allowed me to buy the lincoln for below their cost.I looked at them side by side,and I really thought the lincoln was the better machine.Atleast for me,and after welding with it I knew for sure.It has a nice arc just like my mk products pusle mig welder,very smooth,stable arc.I just didn't think a generator would stack up against a nice inverter arc,but it does.I use the same Ln9 on both.
Parent - - By kenmui Date 12-05-2002 00:18
The only thing the Trailblazer has on the Ranger 305G is the AC output...which probably won't matter to most unless you need ac tig. Even if you do , you then need a high freq adapter which is about the cost of an entry level tig machine anyways!

The Ranger 305G is a "chopper" style machine....like a poor mans inverter. You can play with the arc dynamics
For example, the difference between the "pipe" and standard cc setting is hugh . The ability to vary your arc force ( in stick mode ) or inductance ( in CV wire feed mode ) via the "arc control knob" are a rarity on engine drives. Again, the knob makes a huge difference. The trailblazer can't tweak because it uses older reactor style design

Want to impress you friends....have them weld a critical weld, such as a vertical up low hydrogen...and pull the choke on the engine in and out...you will hear the engine almost dying, but you do NOT see any change in the arc. The "chopper" circuit is very stable despite poor input

You also have the ability to do lift start tig, which the trailbazer can't

You have digital meters , which the trailbazer 301g does not

The trailblazer uses 3 output studs...one for cc and other for cv...may or may not be a inconvenience

To change inductance on the trailbazer pro you have to remove a side panel and move one of the power cables to anoterh lug..and you only have 3 choices. Obviously no one does this in the field. Your machine has a inductance dial you can turn up and down to your hearts content

Bottom line, the arc is much more tweakable...if the arc ( both stick and mig ) is not to your liking, you don't have it set up properly

The Ranger is also much quiter ( the enclosed sheetmetal makes a big difference )
Parent - By ScottV (**) Date 12-05-2002 01:04
Thanks Ken,I knew most of that,but hardly anything about the Trailblazer.I had to take mine in just to set the low idle,and I talked to the tech about the lincoln.He told me the same things about the lincoln.He also told me a rental company bought 300 of them for their fleet.I said,you will find out if they are any good?He said they did their homework on the lincoln before buying.It kind of nice that a american company can still make great product at a fair price.
Parent - - By mcwelding (**) Date 12-06-2002 00:36
hey scott,
i bought a new 301g this past summer. i like it alot. it has a very smooth arc. i have run 6010, 7018 fluxcore and solid wire. i bought a hi freq box for ac tig. i have been buying miller products for 4 years now. just bought a maxstar 140 str yesterday. i mainly got the 301g cause of the ac, even though i havent used it yet. if you live near southeast pa you can take mine for a ride and see if it is diff. i traded in a bobcat 225nt for it. like it way more than the bobcat. as for changing cables i bought bolt on lugs for the quick connects on my cables. only takes one hand.
rich
Parent - By ScottV (**) Date 12-06-2002 01:20
I atleast 2500 miles away in Oregon.Thanks for the offer anyway.Her in Oregon they sell about ten Millers to one Lincoln engine drive,but when the word gets out on the lincolns it might change that.I really don't think you can go two far wrong with ether of them.
Scott
Parent - - By DUCKEY Date 12-11-2002 20:47
i have welded with the 305 and the 250. the best welders on market.. also welded with bobcats no comparison.i got one of the 1st 250 ever made from aws show and it is awsome.. have sold 18 more of the 250 and 3 of the 305.. everyone i let use mine goes out and buy one. i have a mk spool gun hooked up to mine and weld alot of alum with it.. live in chicago area and it starts in cold weather no prblem... also you can run 2 9" grinder off it and still weld 3/16 7018 with it... good luck..
Parent - By ScottV (**) Date 12-11-2002 21:43
I got a esab M28 control box,and St23 spoolgun with mine.With my Thermalarc prowave 300 gtsw,I can plug into the welder it gives me all sorts of different options as far as quality portable arc welding.The mig arc to me is just as nice as my mk 2000 pulse mig unit.Although the mk has alot more adjustability to it.I really can't see a setup thats even close to mine,and I am just a hobby welder.One more thing Those LN9 GMA are great feeders,It makes for a total package.Ln-25 are cool also.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Lincoln 305G