Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Welding Equipment Classifieds / Blue Lens
- - By jlp (**) Date 06-24-2008 11:40
Here it is:
http://www.auralens.net/e_mw_cobalt.cfm
They have different sizes. Hope it helps.
Parent - - By fordsux8269 (**) Date 06-24-2008 15:22
Now this may be a stupid question but why does it say not to be used for Welding?
Parent - By SANDCOFAN Date 06-24-2008 23:22
cuz this lens will burn your retna out of your head if you weld with it
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-25-2008 04:11
I have an idea that they are for glass blowers and similar aplications.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-26-2008 13:32
Possibly blow users too? :-)

"What a delight....China White.." (Dan Wilkes, True Identies, Somewhere Close To Home, Book II)
Parent - - By jlp (**) Date 06-25-2008 11:24
the same reason they took the others off the market.
Parent - - By fordsux8269 (**) Date 06-25-2008 15:22
Then why does everyone think they are so badass if they will hurt your eyes?
Parent - - By sqiggy (**) Date 06-25-2008 21:57
I'm going to take a stab at this. If you are referring to the Cool Blue lens, then these two are NOT the same.
American Opitical made the Cool Blue. If you ever used one, then, you would know why they are bad a$$. I used one for years. Very easy on the eyes. Was the best lens on the market. My welding supply man told me the reason AO doesn't make the "orginial" lens anymore was because the chemical they used to give it that "blue tint" blew up in one of their plants, so they no longer use it. They went with something else which gives it a "orange tint" and it's just not the same.
I don't know anything about this "Cobalt Blue" lens. Never even heard of it.
Parent - By fordsux8269 (**) Date 06-26-2008 03:38
O ok Im just a youngster I have just read about them on here I would really love to try one out though. Does anyone have one around Fort Worth?
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-27-2008 12:09
Please do not consider using these for welding applications. They even tell you themselves not to.

This statement was cut from thier website.

"Under no circumstances should this lens be used in a welding application.
Users should be aware that the lens does NOT filter infrared or ultraviolet and should take necessary precautions against eye injury."

jrw159
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-27-2008 12:18
Like I said a couple of posts ago regarding....."Used for glass blowing applications" ......It can also be used for several other "blow" operations as well!!! lol! :-) S.W.

"He's the one that makes you feel real good, He's the one that makes you feel alright..." (Dr. Feelgood, Motley Crue, Dr. Feelgood LP)
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-28-2008 04:46
When You look into a glass blowers fire there is something called "sodium flare" that some lenses cut out better than others. I don't know if these lenses work well for that or not, but sunglasses would give enough protection, just not the best vision. Looking into a forge is like that too.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Welding Equipment Classifieds / Blue Lens