Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / watercooled gun vs non watercooled gun gooseneck GMAW
- - By 1fastguy (**) Date 06-30-2008 20:36
Opinions on the new gooseneck GMAW guns:
      In the old days which was about 8-10 years ago. My experiece was when you were MIG welding 1/2-1 inch thick base metal ALM with a push pull gun and the length of the weld was more than 8-10 inches long you had to have a watercooled gun or you would burn up lots of tips which would create a nightmare for the welder. We are getting a job that will require use to weld a joint about 18 inches long on 2 sides of a part. The part is 1/2-3/4 inch thick. I am being told by our salesman that we dont need a water cooled gun. Is that true, Are the new gooseneck alm guns that robust? We are looking at the Miller XR-Aluma-pro gun. For the record I hated MIG welding thick ALM, dirty, nasty, hot, etc.
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 07-05-2008 17:08
You will find that this gun will work well in the air cooled mode for the weld you have discribed. this gun is also available in the water cooled mode and have used both and they are great. Personally unless you are doing hours of heavy welding on alum you will not need water cooling, but it is a nice feature. they say you do not need it unless you are running 3/8" fillets all the time with a 600amp machine. the XR-edge is a good gun but I do like the new python as well fits in the hand better but I don't know if it is as tough.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / watercooled gun vs non watercooled gun gooseneck GMAW