Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Wear Resistant Material Required
- - By JAYDESAI (*) Date 07-09-2008 13:03
We are manufacturing dust handling fans for textiles applications as one of our products. One critical problem we are facing is, the fins (wings) of fans get wear out within 6-7 months of service. All material used is MS until now. We are thinking to introduce SS fins which will be welded with MS round base plate. Will it improve the service period of the fan?
Required run-out tolerance of the fan is 1 mm after welding.
Any further process for hardening can distort the material and tolerance may not be achieved, nitriding of SS can be an option...but what about weldability of nitrided SS with mild steel?
Is there any solution other than SS is available?
Searched for EN8/ EN24 material in Plate form (5mm) but not available in market.
Please suggest a viable solution.

Thanks.
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 07-09-2008 15:17
Before you switch to an expensive stainless steel blade, I would suggest trying some of the abrasion resistant plate that is commonly used in earthmoving equipment, such as AR350/AR400/AR450.

http://www.chapelsteel.com/alloy-abrasion-resistant.html

http://www.osm.com/Products/SteelPlate/tabid/77/Default.aspx#heattreated
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-09-2008 15:42
Wear resistance is closely associated with the hardness of the base metal. Our friend Greg gave you some good information. An abrasion resistant material will improve the service life of your fan blades, but they can be more difficult to weld and they are more expensive than mild steel. One other option to consider is to apply a hard abrasion resistant coating to those areas where the abrasion is most severe. Thermally applied coatings can be very cost effective because they allow you to use inexpensive, easily welded base metals and provide a wear surface with the characteristics that are most effective for your service conditions.

One of my clients uses this approach on their product that is subject to extremely abrasive operating conditions. They extended the service life from six months to about two years between grinding operations to true up the wear surfaces.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 07-09-2008 15:40
Your fans are handling dust carrying air and therefore they suffer abrasion from dust particles.
I personally have a long experience with dust handling fans back from my days of project engineer of fertilizer plants.
The solution is more simple than you think.
The fans used in fertilizer plants are rubber lined, both the frame and the impeller.
A precaution that must be taken is to balance the impeller after rubber lining
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil 
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-09-2008 15:44
I've seen that approach used with grit blasting operations. I forgot about that one!

Best regards - Al
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-09-2008 17:07 Edited 07-09-2008 17:09
Depending upon the fan type, spoiler beads can be added to some areas to break up laminar flow. 

Are these axial fans or centrifugal fans. The TIR of 1mm seems tight but it has been many years since I worked on fans.

(Edit) Deleted "I would suggest contacting the manufacturer of the fan to see if they have any suggestions." since they ARE the MFG(End Edit)
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Wear Resistant Material Required