Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Odd terminology and have ?
- - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 07-14-2008 19:29
Hey Folks,
I need some clarification on a term i came across in a job posting. the employer wants someone who can GMAW (squirt weld?). Is that the same as trigger pulsing or puddle welding. This "squirt welding" is in addition to being able to do GMAW-P. Any help would be appretiated.
Respectfully, Jeffrey
Parent - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 07-14-2008 19:41
I just used the search portion of the forum and it has been of little help to me on this term. I just gotta know what this term is used for.
jeffrey
Parent - - By RANDER (***) Date 07-14-2008 19:47
"""MIG or "squirt-gun" welding grew in popularity over the past 15 years as shop owners were attracted by its quick training time and ease of use. The downside with MIG is the difficulty controlling MIG's high deposition rate with the electrode wire and the time required to grind down welds. Still, it remains the most popular aftermarket repair welding technique."""
Excerpt from online article
http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/march97/welding.htm

I'm not saying it's 100% correct but it may help you. 
Parent - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 07-14-2008 20:24
RANDER,
Thank you. These folks posting the Job could have just stated that they wanted a (MIG) welder who understands pulse welding. I know the GMAW process for welding. I had just never heard the term "squirt weld". They only muddied the water with that term. I applied to it anyway. Thanks again.
Respectfully, Jeffrey
Parent - - By tighand430 (***) Date 07-14-2008 19:58
GMAW- Mig welding or squirt gun as many call it
GMAW-P- Pulsed Mig welding. Same as mig but the machine has a high and low output that it alternates between which is adjustable.
Parent - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 07-14-2008 20:30
Jeremy,
Thank You for Your response. I can't for the life of me understand why this employer placed an add for a "squirt welder" when all they had to do was ask for a welder who could (MIG) and understood Pulse welding. The Terminology just threw me a bit. I have learned something new today, and that's what it's all about! Thank You.
Respectfully, Jeffrey
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 07-14-2008 20:31
Squirt welding was a term given to Innershield (FCAW-S), years ago. I haven't heard it called that in a long time. That word is there with "Microwire"!
Parent - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 07-14-2008 20:53
fbrieden,
Thanks for the clarification. If that's what the employer is really asking for...No problem there, I can FCAW-S and FCAW-G, so I guess I'm covered either way.
Respectfully, Jeffrey
Parent - - By PipeIt (**) Date 07-14-2008 20:56
Tig hand is right sounds like the "squirt gun" reference, got lost in the translation somewhere, this process is used in alot in pipe fab shops and it will pass xray if depostion rates are  controlled & applied the right way (no cold lap).
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-14-2008 21:09
I thought "Squirt Welding" was a tradename held by Lincoln Electric to describe their "hand-held" submerged arc welding process. A quick search of Lincoln's web site turned up the LN-7 wire feeder which could be used with the hand-held subarc, GMAW or FCAW processes.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-15-2008 03:39
I have seen some old Lincoln "Squirt Welders", they looked similar to a LN-23P, they might have had a flux hopper, I don't remenber the details.
Parent - - By tighand430 (***) Date 07-14-2008 22:42
What in God's name is microwire?
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-15-2008 03:34
MicroWire was a Hobart trade name for GMAW with short circut transfer using smaller [.030"-.035"] solid wire, goes back to the '50s.
Parent - By welder_Bob (**) Date 07-14-2008 21:31
SQUIRT WELDER was a marketing name for the Lincoln LN-22 LIGHTWEIGHT SQUIRT WELDER (FCAW) feeders back in the 70's and early 80's. So everyone started calling the process Squirt welding instead of Flux Cored wire welding or (FCAW).  The LN-22 is the predecessor to the
LN-23P and the LN-25.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Odd terminology and have ?